Dual Brakes on an HST tractor

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #51  
I think if I used the split brakes all the time I might not like that arrangement, but honestly HST on the Kubota allows fine enough adjustments in my experience that I've no problem with the current arrangement.

On that front I LOVE the treadle. Though it gets me into trouble when I get off the tractor and get into the pickup, and try to go back with my heel... that's going to get me into trouble one day, and I completely understand why people one to stick with one system, whatever it is

Wow, same here, more than once I have stomped the mat on the Silverado with my heel, and wondered for a second why the stupid thing does not back up:laughing:

James K0UA

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor
I may not be the 'brightest bulb in the room', and I don't have access to a Bobcat 235...........

But are you saying that it has 'split' brakes, and the manual says 'not' to use this function?

I have a 235 and went through the manual front to back and do not recall seeing anything advising NOT to split them.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor
That is exactly what I am saying, it has a bar or a bolt (I forget) across them and the dealer told me not to split them

I forget what reason he gave me.

I used to use my split brakes on my 8N all the time, but I really cant say I have ever really needed them on the 235

As you will know then, there is a small bolt in the end of the 'pin' locking the pedals together and I remember reading in the manual how to remove the bolt, move the pin to a different indentation and lock it up again with the same bolt. It works quite well actually but I would only use it in the field and I think not in 4WD. With the cruise set, you can only use the right brake to turn right and the left brake will immediately release the cruise and stop you. I am going to spend a couple hours bush hogging the neighbour's tomorrow and I am going to test its conventionality.

Admittedly, though, the manual does not state anything regarding either the left brake affecting the cruise and the right brake as the only 'turnable' option where trial and error revealed.

Last edited:
   / Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #56  
   / Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #57  
As you will know then, there is a small bolt in the end of the 'pin' locking the pedals together and I remember reading in the manual how to remove the bolt, move the pin to a different indentation and lock it up again with the same bolt. It works quite well actually but I would only use it in the field and I think not in 4WD. With the cruise set, you can only use the right brake to turn right and the left brake will immediately release the cruise and stop you. I am going to spend a couple hours bush hogging the neighbour's tomorrow and I am going to test its conventionality.
Admittedly, though, the manual does not state anything regarding either the left brake affecting the cruise and the right brake as the only 'turnable' option where trial and error revealed.
Thanks, and please report back. I don't have one(and probably never will), but other users may benefit from what you find.

PS.........Would still like to know why the one mechanic advise against using the function offered.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #58  
Thanks, it seems I am easily confused.:ashamed:

That's okay TripleR, at least you didn't go into a lengthy rant about how HST tractors don't need brakes because they stop when you let off the pedal..... :laughing:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #59  
That's okay TripleR, at least you didn't go into a lengthy rant about how HST tractors don't need brakes because they stop when you let off the pedal..... :laughing:

Well, now that you mention it...:laughing:

I actually use the brakes on my L5030 HSTC quite a bit.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #60  
WOW my head is spinning.:confused2: leg muscles with memory, damm even my brain has a memory problem. :laughing: Have around 100,000 miles on a Harley, give or take an inch or 2. Raced Bull Taco's for several years, a Husky & one Susuki, I could loose a race with either type. :laughing:

My TC45 DA 4 WD has go on the right F&R, brakes on left, they can be split, Hand throttle and I like it just fine.

I think most folks just need to learn how to use what they have. Figure out what works for them and what does not. :thumbsup: