Duals... Opinions?

/ Duals... Opinions?
Double check your disk, my tractor was able to pull a 16' transport disc, but i had to keep bumping the hydraulic lift because the front gang was plowing dirt over the axle. I think it was partly due to the tractor sinking so far into the freshly plowed and disced ground. I need to modify or adjust the tongue to correct the problem.

What size are your rear tires anyways? Are they bias or radials? Have you ever checked the air pressure in them? To much pressure and they could act like pizza cutters.

I will have to check the disc a bit closer. My rear tires are 16.9-30 bias, filled with calcium chloride and inflated to 7psi.

Joe

Sent from my XT907 using TractorByNet

/ Duals... Opinions? #22  
It will handle a set of duals just fine. I run both factory and snap on duals and they will help with traction and flotation, but you still have to use some common sense when it's wet or they will just get you further in before you bog it down.

I seen a few guys run smaller tires on the duals for flotation, but it's mainly because they already had them or bought them at a good deal. if you need duals, then they should be on the ground .. not in the air.

/ Duals... Opinions? #23  
I'm wondering if the rear end isn't just too heavy? Perhaps I should drain the fluid into a plastic drum and see if it helps.
Joe

In your first post, you said you had both fluid and wheel weights. Wouldn't it be easier to remove the weights than drain the fluid to just try it out?

/ Duals... Opinions? #24  
It will handle a set of duals just fine. I run both factory and snap on duals and they will help with traction and flotation, but you still have to use some common sense when it's wet or they will just get you further in before you bog it down.

I seen a few guys run smaller tires on the duals for flotation, but it's mainly because they already had them or bought them at a good deal. if you need duals, then they should be on the ground .. not in the air.

There are folk that choose to run the outers slightly smaller. They do it so they don't have to remove the duals for other work and aren't tearing up the sod on sharp turns. It keeps the tractor operating like it has singles when on firm ground, but once things get soft and the inners begin to sink about an inch, the outers start to engage the ground and prevent any major sinking.

/ Duals... Opinions? #26  
There are folk that choose to run the outers slightly smaller. They do it so they don't have to remove the duals for other work and aren't tearing up the sod on sharp turns. It keeps the tractor operating like it has singles when on firm ground, but once things get soft and the inners begin to sink about an inch, the outers start to engage the ground and prevent any major sinking.

I can accept that things are done differently in other parts of the county, but I still question the real value in doing it. During the busy spring/fall we often jump from one job to the next and never remove the duals. I have baled hay many times with duals and never noticed any extra damage to the grass. You learn pretty quick that duals reduce your turning radius with short tongued draw bar equipment.

I can see value with running smaller duals over none at all when used for flotation in wet ground, but it's not as good as having all four tires carrying the load. I have never heard of wanting your tractor to operate like it had singles with the duals on …. not sure I grasp that concept, but nevertheless every man to his own liking, so carry on my friend no issues here.

/ Duals... Opinions?
In your first post, you said you had both fluid and wheel weights. Wouldn't it be easier to remove the weights than drain the fluid to just try it out?

No can do. The previous owner put the wheel weights on the inside of the wheels. They are way too heavy for me to budge... way past the capacity for my loader. I'd have to drain the fluid first.

Joe

/ Duals... Opinions? #28  
I would think that if your tractor weighs 7900 lbs. as you stated in your first post it is too heavy for the hp you have. The tractor weighs close to what my backhoe and cab weighs and mine is 43 hp too. It takes most of that power to move the machine around in soft soil. I would try it without the calcium/water mix and see how it does.

/ Duals... Opinions? #29  
How much land are you farming? Have you looked into tiling/ installing drainage for the field? If the field is not drying properly the crops won't do well and if you get stuck/ grease a spot it won't grow the crop very well. If the fields not fit don't work it. Just a suggestion as in still learning myself. I will get to see one of the fields at the main farm get tile installed this year.

/ Duals... Opinions? #30  
An other option would be a single wider tire.

Like a combine tire. I put a set of 23.1x26's on a tractor I had.