dumb question

/ dumb question #1  

bpattie

Gold Member
I have a question. I am not new to tractors, had on living rurally for 20 years. My old tractor had a ROPS, but no seat belt. I just got a new 4WD Kubota and really love the it so far, a little smaller tractor but so far has done what I need and the Hydro makes the work/fun faster to to complete. My question is, this tractor has a seat belt and the manual recommends using it with a ROPS, not using Without. What I am curious about is why. There are obvious reason for wearing one I suppose, but why yes with ROPS and no without a ROPS?:confused:

/ dumb question #2  
Probaby because if the tractor rolls over and has no ROPS you dont want to be stuck to the seat by the seat belt with no means of escape. Its better to bail and take your chances. With ROPS its safer to stay with the machine, knowing the ROPS should take the brunt of the damage

/ dumb question #3  
also with rops if you dont wear a seatbelt the rops could mousetrap you

/ dumb question #4  
Because the safety police that mandated seat belts made sure the mfg's put it in their manuals.
They can mandate back up beepers, safety belts, ROPS, but they can't mandate common sense.
I'm surprised they are not putting air bags on tractors now.

/ dumb question #5  
Makes one wonder how all the ole timers ever even lived past 12 yrs old. Common sense works best of all for safety. sometimes a seat belt may not be the best idea example falling off into a pond.

/ dumb question #6  
Makes one wonder how all the ole timers ever even lived past 12 yrs old. Common sense works best of all for safety. sometimes a seat belt may not be the best idea example falling off into a pond.
Or when your tilting to far to one side and just need to stand up and lean to the other side to maintain balance.

/ dumb question #7  
As for old-timers and common sense, two things come to mind. First, a lot of ole timers didn't make it past 12, or whatever, because of tractor accidents. Those ole timers also should have had the common sense to invent ROPS and seatbelts. Second, small tractor sales are probably mostly composed of buyers like me who were not familiar with all the nuances of tractor operation. We either learn from the manual, learn from places like TBN or learn the hard way.

Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase a tractor without a ROPS, seatbelt and driver presence switch in the seat. I'm not saying every savvy, common sense ole timey farmer has to want or need all the stuff. But I do. Maybe I don't have a lot of common sense, but they've kept me out of trouble a couple of times. Folks tend to let common sense slide sometimes when they're real tired or in dicey situations.

But yes, if the ROPS is down or off, you don't wear the seatbelt because your only hope in a rollover is jumping clear. I keep the seatbelt on and ROPS up because half the time I have trouble getting off the machine even when its parked and on a level surface. No one ever accused me of being graceful or coordinated.

/ dumb question #8  
As for old-timers and common sense, two things come to mind. First, a lot of ole timers didn't make it past 12, or whatever, because of tractor accidents. Those ole timers also should have had the common sense to invent ROPS and seatbelts.

I would have to see some proof of this.

/ dumb question
Well, thanks for the answers and the humor. I guess that makes sense and was inline with what I had thinking. Funny, I was thinking the other day as I watched some young kids. I guess it is a good thing, but it must take them 20 minutes to get ready to ride a bike with all the pads and helmet they have to put on before they go out. Guess I fall into the category of the an "ole timer" that miraculously survived childhood, of course I do have some battle wounds and a few scars to prove I did not have knee and elbow pads. :rolleyes:

/ dumb question #10  
I would have to see some proof of this.

Proof of what? That a lot of folks have been killed or maimed on farm equipment? I've known a few myself. There's more than one here on TBN with serious injuries from tractor accidents. Is that proof enough?

I think 'safety' can be pushed too far. But I'm real fond of good, common sense, unobtrusive safety features. I love the one's on my tractor including the operator presence switch and the fact that it will not start with it in gear or with the PTO activated. On my Kubota these features are extremely well thought out and as far as I can tell, have no down sides whatsoever.