Dumbest chainsaw question ever....

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Bought an Echo CS490 - 20", 50cc chainsaw. Bought the $6 Echo scabbard for it. But with the included tip guard installed on the bar, the bar won't go in the scabbard. Do people just not install those guards? Seems really odd that the scabbard made for the saw won't fit with a safety device the manufacturer includes.

I try not to make a habit of running the nose into stuff or standing directly inline with the saw....but for just an infrequent chainsaw user (24 hrs/year maybe), I'll take all the added safety I can get :) Is there some other generic 20" scabbard I can find somewhere that will fit with the nose guard installed? I'd like to have both. Oddly, the $130 Ryobi this replaced fit into its scabbard just fine.....and included the scabbard and case.....

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #2  
I plunge mine too much to use a tip guard, and sometimes cut trees larger in diameter than the bar length, so I never use them.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #3  
If you can't find what you want you can make a scabbard any size you want out of plywood or the like. Some use High Density Polypropelyne. Here is an example of a plywood one I made.

SawShelf5.JPG

gg

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #4  
They probably assume everyone takes it off or does not install it. My CS-352 came with the guard not installed. I did not install it but I think that the Echo scabbard would have a hard time going over it.

The Stihl scabbard has a slightly wider flared bit at the mouth to make it easier to get it on the bar (if you don't shorten the scabbard- they don't make all lengths). That might let you stuff it in there witht the guard on but it'd take some force to put on and take off. Husky's scabbard does not have the flare. Both are thinner and more flexible than the Echo one.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #5  
This isn't the dumbest chainsaw question ever- that would be "I cut my leg off, should I have been wearing chaps?"

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #6  
did you buy the sthil sharpener?

I touch up the teeth about every three trees if hackberries and every two trees if oak or pecan.
I got the CS490 with an 18" bar, man that machine is a hoss no doubt.
Never did get the nose guard because I have to make multiple cuts to work through large trunks. Although I can see their value. I'm just not smart enough to know when I should be using one...lol...

Amazon.com: Stihl 2 N 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener 3/8": Garden & Outdoor

It's handy to have when working out in the field.
Also, learned the hard way why I shiuld use this more often instead of just carrying it around!
Amazon.com: Oregon 26365 Grease Gun: OREGON CUTTING SYSTEMS: Garden & Outdoor
nose gear locked up so tight that chain would not budge, like the brake was on.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #7  
I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it. My longer bar is probably 6” longer than the scabbard and doesn’t cause any problems.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever....
I use the dremel attachment sharpener....probably not the best, but works well enough

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #9  
I've owned at least seven saws and none of them have come with a tip guard. Like CincyFlyer, I plunge too much to want one.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #10  
Also, learned the hard way why I shiuld use this more often instead of just carrying it around!
Amazon.com: Oregon 26365 Grease Gun: OREGON CUTTING SYSTEMS: Garden & Outdoor
nose gear locked up so tight that chain would not budge, like the brake was on.

It's unlikely that failing to grease the tip caused the nose sprocket to lock up. Many top quality bars come without the hole to grease that sprocket, and may bars that do have the whole are run regularly by pros who never grease that hole. The two most likely causes of a faile tip are pinching the tip of the bar (often while limbing) or running your chain tension too tight.