Dumbest chainsaw question ever....

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #21  
Those tip guards ore only found on what I call 'hobby saws', generally what a box store would sell.

The larger CC powered saws as used by loggers and tree surgeons would never sport a guard but then those fellows have learned over time the causes and effects that come with a chain saw, that or they were well trained.

I also suspect that it is the result of product liability situations.
Reminds me of the warnings on lawn mowers, ( not to grab the housing with your hands)

Shucks they might just as well placard the blade that U should not lift saw by the blade while engine is running.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #22  
The rule on tip greasing is grease it every time you use the saw or don't grease it at all. the occasional grease will do more harm than good. And like said previously the top quality bars don't have the grease hole any more, mainly because people didn't grease than correctly.

Don't the greaseless noses need a special chain with grooves angled in the base to drive oil into the sprocket? A greaseable nose can use any chain. That is what I picked up over the years.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #23  
Yeah, this question is not dumb at all. I got a dumb one 25 years ago when a guy asked me to look at his saw he had a problem with. He had the chain on backwards.

I think the on real dumb chainsaw question is "what is that noise?"

This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut firewood. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."

So, the man takes the chainsaw and goes out to cut firewood. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?" the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day," the man tells himself. So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 am in the morning and cuts and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and still he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer," the man says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Hmm, it looks fine."

Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds, "What's that noise?

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #24  
That's not completely unheard of either, although most of us figure it out when the saw bounces off the first tree you try to cut.
It's also a mistake which you don't repeat twice.

Yeah, my uh, "friend" did that once. A low end, one-nut saw, where the bar adjustment is on the removable cover (i.e. nothing really holds the bar in place.) The chain just wouldn't line up and go on unless you held the chainsaw upside to see the drive sprocket, hold and align the bar with the other hand, and somehow roll the chain on with your third (?) hand.
After all that and 5-10 minutes of trying I finally get in on, ahem, I mean "He" finally gets on, and its backwards.
Go through the whole process again, and " *** ******!" , if "he" didn't do it again! Something about the saw being upside down.

So yes, you can repeat it twice!

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #25  
That's not completely unheard of either, although most of us figure it out when the saw bounces off the first tree you try to cut.
It's also a mistake which you don't repeat twice.

Anyone remember that Craftsman DIY show or video where they showed the chainsaw chain on backwards? Pretty funny once you noticed it.

/ Dumbest chainsaw question ever.... #26  
Don't the greaseless noses need a special chain with grooves angled in the base to drive oil into the sprocket? A greaseable nose can use any chain. That is what I picked up over the years.
Any chain will carry oil to the tip, otherwise you would constantly be wearing out the chains. I believe the last time that I greased a bar was in 1987 when I was running my father's saw. As has been mentioned previously if you choose to grease the tip do it often; i.e., every time that you fuel up the saw.