Dump bed Pick Ups

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #2  
When i was in charge of our schools grounds dept. I got one for one of our 1 ton pickup trucks. All of the guys love to use it for small jobs. We also had a 5 yard and a 10 yard dump trucks. P.S. Retired now

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #3  
The ones I used were on 1 ton trucks. They had an electric over hydraulic for the lift. They were really handy for smaller projects. If you overloaded it, it was shoeveled out by hand. If it was a bigger project we used a single axle straight truck or a tandem dump truck.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #4  
   / Dump bed Pick Ups #5  
I had a Uni-Hoist setup years ago in my old Ford F250 4X4. It worked great for what it was. It is better to dump dowhill than to try and dump uphill just so you know in advance. Shoveling is required for overloaded pickups. An 8 foot bed filled flat with washed crushed cement sand weights 6000 pounds. Be aware of this should you try it sometime. Going through the scales at 11,200 pounds made the weight guy run out to warn me. I did have 13 leaf springs on the rear and was not dead axled. It was a scary ride home.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
JimR said:
I had a Uni-Hoist setup years ago in my old Ford F250 4X4. It worked great for what it was. It is better to dump dowhill than to try and dump uphill just so you know in advance. Shoveling is required for overloaded pickups. An 8 foot bed filled flat with washed crushed cement sand weights 6000 pounds. Be aware of this should you try it sometime. Going through the scales at 11,200 pounds made the weight guy run out to warn me. I did have 13 leaf springs on the rear and was not dead axled. It was a scary ride home.
1971 I had a new Ford 250 camper special.
I hauled 6000 pounds of gravel on it one time which was a bit much,but it would handle 4 or5 K pounds easly.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #7  
The closest quarry to me will not load a pick-up truck or single axle trailer. It would really burn my butt if I paid $2500 for a Dump Pro insert and then find that I couldn't get it loaded with crushed stone.
I would suggest checking with the local quarry before buying one.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
Ford960 said:
The closest quarry to me will not load a pick-up truck or single axle trailer. It would really burn my butt if I paid $2500 for a Dump Pro insert and then find that I couldn't get it loaded with crushed stone.
I would suggest checking with the local quarry before buying one.

The closest quarry to me will not load a pick-up truck ~~~~~ This is just plain STEW PED
Why won't they?????????
----->>
I found a couple of places where you can buy a dump kit for 900 bucks.
I think a kit only weighs about 300 pounds.
I hauled slag from one place and sand from another / never encountered any problem with them loading my little ole import dodge d 50.

Last edited:
   / Dump bed Pick Ups #9  
I think the local quarry won't load a pickup because of the liability of breaking the trucks suspension by dumping a load of whatever into the bed. That happened at a local quarry by me a few years ago. A loader dropped a load of crushed stone too fast into a pickup and the truck axle broke (snapped) from the sudden weight. In order to save a delivery charge the guy took his 1 ton pickup to get it filled. Ended up costing him 20 times the delivery charge he tried to avoid to fix his truck. The quarry took pics of the guys broken truck and have them posted in the office. Im asked to borrow them to post here but they wouldn't let them go. If you towed your own tractor loader and did your own loading then they might consider it. They will not be responsible for any damages caused to your truck or equipment.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
George2615 said:
I think the local quarry won't load a pickup because of the liability of breaking the trucks suspension by dumping a load of whatever into the bed. That happened at a local quarry by me a few years ago. A loader dropped a load of crushed stone too fast into a pickup and the truck axle broke (snapped) from the sudden weight. In order to save a delivery charge the guy took his 1 ton pickup to get it filled. Ended up costing him 20 times the delivery charge he tried to avoid to fix his truck. The quarry took pics of the guys broken truck and have them posted in the office. Im asked to borrow them to post here but they wouldn't let them go. If you towed your own tractor loader and did your own loading then they might consider it. They will not be responsible for any damages caused to your truck or equipment.

Seems to me the quarry needs to hire competent equipment operators rather than taking it out on Joe Customer.