Duramax towing MPG

/ Duramax towing MPG #51  
if i were shopping today i would look for a LBZ Chevy from the pre-pollution years. let someone else take the hit for driving it off the showroom. in this economy it wouldn't be hard to find a low milage truck to fit the needs. anything with under 50,000 miles is still new for a diesel. imo. the new pollution devices aren't making any of the trucks better or more reliable. i was able to find my 4500 with 2800 miles on it for less than half what they wanted for them new. that just made sense to me. good luck in your search. we could use another duramax driver on here.

/ Duramax towing MPG #52  
The other question, new vs. used. I already own a used truck why would I trade into another used truck. I don't like buying somebody elses problems, my truck is my livelyhood, without a truck I don't work.

I don't see used as always buying someone's problems. I'd be tempted to think in CA there would be quite a few older / retired types who buy a loaded up LTZ or similar to pull a large 5'ver and then for some reason (maybe death) the truck comes on the market with low easy miles - just a thought to consider.

Even as for new, with the current deals and financing, I'd think a person could score a Dmax 3500 for less than $55K .

For example here's one thing I found on the GM site:

3500HD BIG DOOLEY CREW CAB STANDARD BOX LTZ 4x4

$44,945ケ

• Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine
  • Allisonョ 6-speed automatic transmission
  • Heavy-duty trailering equipment
  • Integrated trailer brake controller
  • 13,000-lb. GVWR(6)
  • Skid Plate Package
  • LTZ Plus Package
  • Exterior Plus Package
  • Interior Plus Package
  • Engine block heater
  • Power-adjustable, heated camper mirrors
  • Rearview camera system

/ Duramax towing MPG #53  
If your not dead-set on getting a brand new truck then maybe look at a used diesel truck. Like the others have said, if you want better MPG's then look for a pre-DPF truck like the pre-05 6.6l Duramax, pre-07.5 5.9l Cummins, or pre-04 7.3l Powerstroke. It will be harder to find exactly the truck you want but will be MUCH cheaper up-front and will pay for itself MUCH earlier than a new truck. That may turn the significant other towards a purchase. :cool:
Pre-DPFs get no better than any of the expectations here. I get 12 - 14 on a 2007 LBZ engine. Pre-2005s are nothing but an injector / fuel pump issue waiting to happen. The LB7 and the LLY are nothing but a mistake by GM. Those that have not had any problems, good for you. The Diesel Page dot com has a lot of testimony to this fact.

I've had two LB7s and an LBZ. Duramax has been nothing but a disappointment for me in the way of fuel mileage (althought I stay heavy in the throttle). I'm on my fourth and last Duramax (inclusive of four sets of failed injectors in the LB7s). I'll go back to a gasser as soon as I have time to shop.

For Sale: 2007 Classic (LBZ engine) with 4,700 miles. Gets 12 - 14 MPG (maybe more when broken in at 10,000 miles). Silver Birch in color / crew cab. Still showroom clean. Not even been driven in the rain. Good truck, I just don't drive it much.