Duramax towing MPG

/ Duramax towing MPG #41  
Every year the duramax has gotten more HP and less mpg. This year's version has tons of power and the lowest economy yet. I drive an older LB7 version and get 18-20 empty and 12-14 towing 10k (tractor).

Given the $10,000 premium for the diesel, I'd just get the gas engine in a new truck. The new anti pollution solution scares me. I've heard DPF's out of warranty will be $1000-1200. Who knows what the urea systems will do. Plus the new gas engines are much more economical and powerful than the old ones. There is no longer a clear justification for diesel unless you run 40-60k a year loaded.

This statement poses the question: Why buy new? Is is perhaps the best solution to get a quality used diesel with low to medium mileage?

Just for curiosity, what years were the best for diesel engines? I am very curious to hear.

/ Duramax towing MPG #42  
Given the $10,000 premium for the diesel, I'd just get the gas engine in a new truck. The new anti pollution solution scares me. I've heard DPF's out of warranty will be $1000-1200. Who knows what the urea systems will do. Plus the new gas engines are much more economical and powerful than the old ones. There is no longer a clear justification for diesel unless you run 40-60k a year loaded.

It seems the OP has given up on this thread and decided to wait on his purchase. It may be hard to justify a new diesel truck on the basis of saving $500 / month in fuel costs (OP's estimate), however, if I were in this situation
I'd be tempted to look at this in two parts:

1. Do I need / want a new truck?
2. If yes to #1 should it be Gas or Diesel?

On that basis the $10K extra cost for diesel is, I think, easily justifiable. Savings of $500 / month = $6,000 per year = less than two year payback.

Perhaps a good used diesel would be a solution providing much better mileage without giving up too much. As stated by a couple of others, slowing down a bit usually increases mileage. Seems to me if I can get 9 - 10 MPG range with 5.9 Cummins pushing a 26K motor home, pulling 3.5K toad @ 61 MPH, the OP should be able to find some sort of diesel truck that would at least double his current 5 mpg pulling 14K.

/ Duramax towing MPG #43  
Just for curiosity, what years were the best for diesel engines? I am very curious to hear.

My opinion

Strictly going on fuel mileage, and engine longevity, I would say a 1998 Dodge 12v Cummins, with NV4500 5 Spd.

If you want the total package, I would have to say 2007 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 CR Cummins, 6 spd

If you don't like Dodge...or need more cab room than they offer.

2002-early 2003 Ford F-350 7.3

It is my opinion that with Ford anything from 2003 and up is a gamble, you might get a great one, you might get a lemon.

We just swapped off 2- 2008 F550's 6.4 diesel last week, took a beating on them, 31k for the pair. Still running the 2003 and 2004 F550 with 6.0. Sad day when a 7 year old truck can still out perform a 2 year old truck. These trucks haul 40 and 45' gooseneck trailers daily, loaded to max cap.

/ Duramax towing MPG
I haven't given up on this thread, I'm still reading. There was no sense in jumping in the middle of the who makes a better truck debate. I already know I will buy a GM product. I have worked on all 3 brands and my opinion is the GM trucks are easier to work on, the Allison transmission has more than proven its reliability especially in heavy towing applications, and GM's brakes are far superior to the other 2 manufacturers.

Brian
To answer the 2 questions.

Do I want/need a new truck? Yes, my truck has 200,000 miles on it and is having 200,000 mile problems. The drivetrain is solid, but now I'm having the little stuff that I don't want to deal with going wrong.

Gas or Diesel? Absolutely diesel, I would have bought the Duramax in 2001 if I knew it was going to have as few problems as it did. Who knew, it could have been like the 6.0 Ford. They don't even offer the 8.1L any more in the pick-up chassis and I don't think anyone could convince me the the 6.2L has the balls to pull my trailer everyday. Even if the Duramax only gets 8 mpg towing it is still an improvement over 5 mpg.

The other question, new vs. used. I already own a used truck why would I trade into another used truck. I don't like buying somebody elses problems, my truck is my livelyhood, without a truck I don't work.

/ Duramax towing MPG #45  
I haven't given up on this thread, I'm still reading. There was no sense in jumping in the middle of the who makes a better truck debate. I already know I will buy a GM product. I have worked on all 3 brands and my opinion is the GM trucks are easier to work on, the Allison transmission has more than proven its reliability especially in heavy towing applications, and GM's brakes are far superior to the other 2 manufacturers.

Brian
To answer the 2 questions.

Do I want/need a new truck? Yes, my truck has 200,000 miles on it and is having 200,000 mile problems. The drivetrain is solid, but now I'm having the little stuff that I don't want to deal with going wrong.

Gas or Diesel? Absolutely diesel, I would have bought the Duramax in 2001 if I knew it was going to have as few problems as it did. Who knew, it could have been like the 6.0 Ford. They don't even offer the 8.1L any more in the pick-up chassis and I don't think anyone could convince me the the 6.2L has the balls to pull my trailer everyday. Even if the Duramax only gets 8 mpg towing it is still an improvement over 5 mpg.

The other question, new vs. used. I already own a used truck why would I trade into another used truck. I don't like buying somebody elses problems, my truck is my livelyhood, without a truck I don't work.

It sounds like your mind was already made up...A new Gm Diesel. So why worry about the fuel mileage it's going to get, if you have already decided to get it, just do it. Heck, you only live once, might as well drive the truck you want.

/ Duramax towing MPG #46  
Get what you want but I would suggest you drive all 3 before you buy. go in without the blinders on. Look at not only the truck but also the dealer and the manufactures situation.

I always buy what is best and drive each before I buy. Since 2003 alone I have had 2 Ford diesels F-250 & F-350, GMC 3500 diesel, Dodge 2500 Hemi, F-150, and a Titan. All were 4x4 and all had 3.73 gears with the exception of the Nissan.

Chris

/ Duramax towing MPG
It sounds like your mind was already made up...A new Gm Diesel. So why worry about the fuel mileage it's going to get, if you have already decided to get it, just do it. Heck, you only live once, might as well drive the truck you want.

Still have to justify it to the little lady. If I could have been convinced that the fuel savings would have made the payment, or real close to it I might have had a chance. The reality is, the economy is still to unstable to bite off a $55,000 purchase right now and I made this post before I thought the whole thing through.

Brian

/ Duramax towing MPG
Get what you want but I would suggest you drive all 3 before you buy. go in without the blinders on. Look at not only the truck but also the dealer and the manufactures situation.

I always buy what is best and drive each before I buy. Since 2003 alone I have had 2 Ford diesels F-250 & F-350, GMC 3500 diesel, Dodge 2500 Hemi, F-150, and a Titan. All were 4x4 and all had 3.73 gears with the exception of the Nissan.

Chris

It would be tough to get a real world feel driving all 3. They aren't going to put gooseneck hitches in their trucks to let me test drive them with my trailer hooked up. Power and feel unloaded, is completely different than pulling 14K+ with a gooseneck that is loaded tongue heavy.

Brian

/ Duramax towing MPG #49  
The reality is, the economy is still to unstable to bite off a $55,000 purchase right now
Amen to that.

I was doing some tire kicking at a dealership this year, looking at a Dodge 3500 mega cab dually 4x4 loaded out, and it was 50k+ once I put on a hauler bed, front end replacement, etc it quickly becomes a 60k truck. And it still won't get the economy that my 3rd gen truck gets.

I decided to hold off for the year on a truck purchase, and bought a new tractor and aluminum stock trailer instead.:D

/ Duramax towing MPG #50  
It would be tough to get a real world feel driving all 3. They aren't going to put gooseneck hitches in their trucks to let me test drive them with my trailer hooked up. Power and feel unloaded, is completely different than pulling 14K+ with a gooseneck that is loaded tongue heavy.

Brian

Very true. I am just saying take a look and see what is out there. The GM may be for you but don't judge on the past. All have made major changes.

Chris