E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15%

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #1  

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G, Deere X744, Cub Cadet IH 982
There has been discussion about the issues with using E10 fuel and now the limit will move to 15%.

*****'s ethanol move delivers gift to corn country - POLITICO

In boon for farmers, ***** lifting restrictions on ethanol - The Washington Post

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #2  
I don't understand this. I can buy E85 (85% ethanol) anytime I want at the gas station down the street (which I never would because I hate how ethanol makes my motorcycle and power equipment run) but E15 is prohibited in summer months?

I'm also hearing radio commercials about 'allowing E15.' So E85 is allowed but E15 isn't?

I don't care what kind of ethanol blend is for sale, I just don't want it... and I don't want to be FORCED to buy it. It's already nearly impossible to find ethanol free fuels around many cities.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #3  
Big Ag will get a bump on rock bottom corn prices and be able to move the massive stock surplus. EPA is going to get cleaner air and state/fed will get an increase in tax revenue from the reduced fuel economy from more ethanol. Gas stations get a small bump in sales from the public having to make a few more stops to fill up. Everybody wins :laughing:

Majority of most cars these days will probably have zero issues but they also need to give the consumer the option to get non-ethanol gas and not have to search high and low to find it. I live in an area that fortunately sells "recreational gasoline" but I use it only in my small engines or vehicles with rubber fuel lines due to it costing about a dollar more a gallon.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #4  
I live in an area where hen's teeth are easier to find than non-ethanol fuel. Some say it is available, but when pressed the answer always is - - "well, they had it last time I was there".

Ethanol gas and Tier 4 diesel - - the road to Perdition is paved with good intentions - some times.

Mostly its a political move to secure votes.

And the masses still think the politicians are doing good by us....................

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #5  
I moved to 100% gas this year for my lawn equipment and it has never been happier. My pickup has never had the pleasure.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #6  
E85 is only for vehicles that are specifically made for it. "Flex fuel" and similar. The rest are made to handle up to 10% ethanol. Not 15%.

Ethanol and MTBE were good for emissions back when most vehicles had carburetors or primitive fuel injection and ran too rich. They lean out the mixture (by requiring more oxygen or adding it in the case of MTBE). That was useful until engine technology improved. Modern vehicles already run as lean as they can, and have for over a decade. Ethanol in them does nothing for emissions. It's become a giant corporate welfare system to shovel our money to corporate ag and ethanol producers. In general emissions regulation has been good (our air and water is much cleaner) but this is one area where it's not any more.

E15 will be dangerous for highly tuned engines, for example in motorcycle and smaller cars. It can cause them to run too lean, which can mean very expensive engine damage.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #7  
Our free market system!! Pffft!!

The stories start out by saying ***** "is lifting a ban" on ethanol. "Yeah! Freedom! MAGA!", but when one reads farther it says "The law sets out how much corn-based ethanol and other renewable fuels refiners must blend into gasoline each year." Must blend?? What?

We live in a system that has the illusion of a free market.
..but like most of ag policies, this is nothing but a directive from Central Planning.
But unlike communism, our Central Planning transfers the risk of its policies to individual owners, determining who will be winners/losers.

:2cents:

I hope I haven't got too close to being political for this forum. This definitely isn't a left/right thing.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15%
MTBE and Ethanol act as oxygenators to help fight smog in big cities. The MTBE chemicals were found to be very dangerous to our health and drinking water and Ethanol is much safer. That being said, why up the percentage to 15%? Where is the science that demands that decision? The people should be given a choice of E0, E10, E15, E85,.....not just E15 and E85.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #9  
MTBE and Ethanol act as oxygenators to help fight smog in big cities. The MTBE chemicals were found to be very dangerous to our health and drinking water and Ethanol is much safer. That being said, why up the percentage to 15%? Where is the science that demands that decision? The people should be given a choice of E0, E10, E15, E85,.....not just E15 and E85.
The "science" is that prior to his election President ***** promised the corn belt that he would do this. The real science is that ethanol evaporates, so that in the summer months especially, it becomes a pollution problem itself.
I know all of the above, because I read an article on MSN previous to perusing this post; therefore making me an expert. :D

I don't care as much as I used to, because my pickups run just fine on it; whereas there are more and more gas stations which are filling their premium tanks with no-ethanol so I always have 5 gallons on hand.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #10  
I find it ironic, is that ethanol free gasoline is an option at most gas stations in the corn belt states and very scarce in a lot of other states. :confused3:

Last edited: