EA grapple not an option now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #121  
I have the first one, only brush & trees here, & post hurricane clean-up is main duty, so with the LS weight challenged FEL, I wanted capacity more than indestructibility (I have a welder).

Last edited:
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #122  
Looking at the economy root grapple I see the same problem I had with my first grapple. The bearing surface of the lid hinge is too small. Mine used a 5/8 bolt for the pin and 3/8" (I think) thick plate for the pivot. I would suggest that you widen the hinge and weld in 1 inch id bushings, otherwise things will egg out pretty fast. Look at any HD model and you will see what I'm talking about.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #123  
Looking at the economy root grapple I see the same problem I had with my first grapple. The bearing surface of the lid hinge is too small. Mine used a 5/8 bolt for the pin and 3/8" (I think) thick plate for the pivot. I would suggest that you widen the hinge and weld in 1 inch id bushings, otherwise things will egg out pretty fast. Look at any HD model and you will see what I'm talking about.
Maybe that is one of the reasons why the economy grapple doesn't come with their standard warranty.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #124  
When EA had a customer complaint they would post it on their FB page and encourage their fan boys to rip him apart.
funny, they never did that to me when I had a bolt failure that broke part of the grapple. I shipped it back at their expense, they made repaired, and shipped it back at no charge ! I never was ''ripped''

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #126  
I have an MTL which sees a lot of use. I bought the 54" but if you want to save a little weight get a 48"... that extra 6" doesn't make that much if a difference.
I'm in the market for a root grapple for my 45hp LS. SW Florida, I've got some land clearing to do - palmettos and pine. My first thought was that the shorter grapple would make maneuvering easier. But then again the extra heft of a longer grapple will take the stress and strain better.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #127  
I'm in the market for a root grapple for my 45hp LS. SW Florida, I've got some land clearing to do - palmettos and pine. My first thought was that the shorter grapple would make maneuvering easier. But then again the extra heft of a longer grapple will take the stress and strain better.

I have owned both styles and the long bottom with dual lids works best for me.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #128  
funny, they never did that to me when I had a bolt failure that broke part of the grapple. I shipped it back at their expense, they made repaired, and shipped it back at no charge ! I never was ''ripped''
All that I know is what I saw.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #129  
I bought an Armstrong mini-grapple and am very pleased with it. 60" wide and mounted on a 50hp tractor. I'm careful what I attack with it. It isn't built to break trees down but works great for clearing brush and cactus.

Status
Not open for further replies.