Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #22  
Farmwithjunk said:
Mike, any suggestions as to where a fellow might find a pair of those headphones? (Other than on your head;))
I can't recall where I bought them, although I know I bought them online. Cabela's sells them for $220.

/ Ear Protection #25  
I have at set of Sennheiser PXC250 noise cancelling earphones. They are on the ear type and very effective. I think I got them for just over $100 via amazon so they are not so pricy as to be scary to use on the tractor. Only downside compared to the Bose is that the battery and electronics are in a little pen shaped appendage that slides into your shirt pocket or clips to your jacket. You can obviously run the Ipod through the headphones while in noise suppression mode just like the Bose.

/ Ear Protection #26  
Farmwithjunk said:
Huh?????

Point being, I need to keep what hearing I have. I HATE hearing aids. (Feels like I have a finger in my ear)

Dang thing is just a bit more expensive than a set of headphones though.

My hearing is bad, right ear was bad enough that the ear doc told me that a hearing aid would not help. I do have a Beltone aid in my left ear and you can't tell it's there. It's just a small device that fits behind your ear and a very tiny tube fits in your ear canal. 35 years of dog training and shooting loud blank guns over every point I think is the main culprit for my loss but also being around noisy tractors and mowers didn't help.

/ Ear Protection #27  
I have quite a collection of muffs, ranging from HF cheapies on up. I try to always buy the ones with the highest NRR. The difference in cost for similarly rated units is often quality of construction (relates to longevity) and long term comfort.

I try to have muffs scattered around the shop so whatever loud abrasive cutoff saw, miter saw, grinder or whatever I use I have a set of muffs close at hand. HF are good for this as they are CHEAP but work. They ARE NOT comfortable for very long and I could never wear them long enough to do much with a tractor.

I have some that are way more comfortable for long term use but are no more effective unless you count comfort that lest you actually wear them for more than a few minutes as improved effectivity.

In really extreme cases I put the sponge type in my ears and then put on muffs. Not particularly comfortable for long but darned effective.

For tractoring I recommend something with a fair (or greater) degree of long term comfort. Otherwise the pain will build and you will just take them off. That is my only objection to recommending the cheaper HF units. If they are not comfortable to wear during a long tractor session, you won't!

Pat

/ Ear Protection #29  
I have been using those foam ear plugs for years. The ones I use are NRR 29 rated. They do get pretty nasty looking after many uses :eek:, but are easy to clean with soap and water. When I use them in conjunction with my Stihl protective head/ear ware I can barely hear anything. Jay

/ Ear Protection #30  
Jay, I have a Husqvarna brand safety helmet for logging ops. It has a plastic "Lawrence of Arabia" cape thing on the back of the helmet to keep sawdust and debris from going down the back of your neck. It also has a metal mesh flip up visor to protect your eyes. It has attached muffs that can fold up out of the way or just pull them away from your ears and they snap into an outer position. Then to prepare for making noise you just push in on them and they snap over your ears. The muffs are pretty effective. I have a 32 inch bar Husky with an engine like a small dirt bike and this sucker is loud. If I were to use it for long I would sure want to stuff the foam inserts in and use the muffs too. Id your Stihl like this? I haven't seen other brands besides Husky.

NOTE regarding buying plugs, muffs, etc. The NRR (Noise Reduction Rating is not LINEAR. It is logarithmic. It gives noise reductions in dB. So if you see one set of muffs listed as 26 and another set at 29 don't be fooled. the higher rated set is not just a little over 10% better. Each 3 dB is a doubling of power level. A set with a NRR of 29 cuts the sound down twice as much as a set rated at 26.

Our ears are also logarithmic in response and things that sound twice as loud actually have a much greater difference. Our perception of the loudness of sounds is not accurate and judging when sound is loud enough to harm you is not easy. Netter to be safe than sorry.

Oh, by the way... When life hands you lemons, get some tequila and salt and call me!

Pat