Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #31  
jbrumberg said:
I have been using those foam ear plugs for years. The ones I use are NRR 29 rated. They do get pretty nasty looking after many uses :eek:, but are easy to clean with soap and water. When I use them in conjunction with my Stihl protective head/ear ware I can barely hear anything. Jay

You can buy 2000 ear plugs for about $20 to $30 just about anywhere on the web.
The box lasts forever
My rule is no more than 8 hours in the ear (lots of long distance motorcycling in my past), so one job and I throw 'em away.
I get as much NRR as I can get. 29 is about as low as I"ll go. Currently on a box of NRR33's.

/ Ear Protection #32  
LoneCowboy said:
You can buy 2000 ear plugs for about $20 to $30 just about anywhere on the web.
The box lasts forever
My rule is no more than 8 hours in the ear (lots of long distance motorcycling in my past), so one job and I throw 'em away.
I get as much NRR as I can get. 29 is about as low as I"ll go. Currently on a box of NRR33's.

Agree with Lonecowboy on all points. I have been bulk buying earplugs for a while now for motorcycling and shooting. (Seems like all my hobbies are bad for hearing - I'm also a pilot, but I have dedicated noise reducing headphones for flying.). There is a Yahoo store for earplugs and little else that has an incredible selection and good prices (no link handy at this moment). For motorcycling up to 2-3 hours I have some reusable rubber plugs with a NRR of 29 or so. For longer trips I would use foam plugs with a 33 NRR. For me the most comfortable plugs are the ones made of heat-sensitive foam, which are sometimes available at Home Depot in the safety aisle (they are green and come either way too pricey in 2-8 packs or at a better price in a 60 count block). Foam plugs are intended as single-use. You can wash and reuse them a few times, but not too many. Not good putting dirt deep down in your ear. FYI, in case anyone reading doesn't know this, foam plugs need to be about 80% inside your ear canal to work properly. I see people stick them loosely on the outside and not realize they're getting a NRR of like 2 or 3 by not using them right.

So far I've been using my shooting muffs for tractoring and pretty happy with that. My tractor is rated for about 90db so I only need 5-10db reduction to be safe. The muffs I'm using are 24, I think. Motorcycling is typically a lot louder - and since I wear a full face helmet, muffs are not an option!

/ Ear Protection #33  
Peltor Alerts won my personal shoot-out.
AM/FM that can have the ambient noise mixed in
so you can hear somebody speak without taking them
off. Also can plug in a phone/Ipod whatever and
that also can be mixed in.
Peltor Alert AM/FM Radio Headset

/ Ear Protection #34  
   / Ear Protection #35  
Maybe some of you bikekrs can answer this. I think I recall a helmet with active noise cancellation in it and external audio input so you can listen to the radio. There are electronic boxes that let you listen to sounds from 2 or more inputs. There is a priority channel for a 2way radio or cell phone. If that input is active it kills the other inputs like iPod, or whatever you are listening to. Uses a fast attack slow decay VOX circuit to automatically switch to the priority channel when it becomes active and then when it goes silent for a few seconds the unit automatically switches back to whatever you were listening to befor.

I think something like that would be very good for tractoring if used with noise canceling headphones. You could listen to your tunes but if your cell went off or mama gave a shout over the two way you'd get the call.

Pat

/ Ear Protection #36  
Ear protection? I spend too many years sleeping under the number three wire on aircraft carriers... Huh?

mark

/ Ear Protection #37  
I wear a big set of muff style headphones when i am on the tractor. i got them at radioshack I -think-.. They have a 1/8 stereo plug and came with a 1/4 adapter.. and have a sliding volume control inline. I use these either with my fender mounted radio.. or an arm band radio. the muffs block out the sound real good, and i can hear fine.. even on my 95 hp tractor with a 15' mower behind me.

Sometimes i just use them as muffs.. no radio...

Soundguy

/ Ear Protection #38  
Soundguy, You got a RS model number on those phones?

I have discovered that one of the many sets of muffs I have (one of the most comfortable) seems to resonate at one of the frequencies prevalent in my tractor operation and doesn't reduce THAT noise. Very annoying. What you describe sounds like what would be good for my needs.

I want good suppression without resorting to in the ear plugs since I want headphones instead of just muffs so I can plug into an audio source (mixer panel with VOX) so I can listen to tunes and incoming 2way radio transmissions will mute the tunes and have priority.

Pat

/ Ear Protection #39  
I'll check them for a part number tonight.

Yep.. I've done the same with vocal priority... works great.

Soundguy

patrick_g said:
Soundguy, You got a RS model number on those phones?

I have discovered that one of the many sets of muffs I have (one of the most comfortable) seems to resonate at one of the frequencies prevalent in my tractor operation and doesn't reduce THAT noise. Very annoying. What you describe sounds like what would be good for my needs.

I want good suppression without resorting to in the ear plugs since I want headphones instead of just muffs so I can plug into an audio source (mixer panel with VOX) so I can listen to tunes and incoming 2way radio transmissions will mute the tunes and have priority.

Pat

/ Ear Protection #40  
I just bought the peltor am/fm set up. No plug in for anything else. They work good. I wish the tuner was digital, but it works good. I am actually impressed with the lower level of fatigue when using ear protection. Caught myself signing away last night like I was practicing for American Idol. Lucky the tractor is loud enough so no one can hear. LOL.