Echo 590 or the X Series?

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #131  
Interesting. Never would have thought that to be true but are the bars with no grease holes sealed so that no dirt can get in?
They still get stuck and jammed full of crap.

Have them come in and try to get the crap out of the tips for locals. I also soak them during that time to help during getting unstuck. Most of them I have been able to save for folks.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #132  
They still get stuck and jammed full of crap.
Especially those who noodle big rounds. Those long-grain shavings can sometimes wrap around the sprocket bearing, and really jam up the works. Without a grease hole, you have no way to hydraulically eject them. That's how my one and only nose sprocket failure occurred, many years ago.

I'm down to one greaseless bar now, a 36" Stihl Rollomatic ES (now called "E Super") that only really gets used for felling real big trees. I don't put enough hours on that bar to bother replacing it, I suspect the nose grease or bearing seals will dry out and fail from age, before I ever wear the thing out.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #133  
Interesting. Never would have thought that to be true but are the bars with no grease holes sealed so that no dirt can get in?
No it’s flushed with bar oil in harvester application a bar tip on a dangle head is pretty exposed compared to even a chainsaw. Well cutting a tree you have a little bit of lift and a bit of push out in the direction of the cut so there’s always a chance of the bar being pinched or the tip to be sat on.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series?
I put the grease in the hole at the end of the bar before using it over the weekend. I did it on both sides, and I put a little in at a time, then rotated the chain and did it again and again. I don't know if I got too much in there, or if there is such a thing as too much.

I didn't notice any difference using the chainsaw. But it's simple and easy enough to do that I will continue to do it.

I also bought another gallon of the Husqvarna premixed gallon cans of gasoline. I'm still on the first can, and I wanted to have another can here so I don't run out. It might be my imagination, but I think it's part of why I like this chainsaw so much better then my Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws. It's also lighter, starts easier and it has more power.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #136  
You can't do too much, it just pushes out between the cheeks of the sprocket tip. It can be messy if you overload it, but that's it, no damage.

You won't notice any difference in the saw, unless it had been bound up with debris before and greasing managed to eject that, just like your truck doesn't drive any different after changing the motor oil.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #137  
I also bought another gallon of the Husqvarna premixed gallon cans of gasoline. I'm still on the first can, and I wanted to have another can here so I don't run out. It might be my imagination, but I think it's part of why I like this chainsaw so much better then my Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws. It's also lighter, starts easier and it has more power.

It's funny: I've heard reports form some users that their saw runs better on the canned stuff, while others say it doesn't run worth a damn, and switch back to gas from their local station. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of the saw needing to be retuned for the different fuel or something else. The effect described is so dramatic that I would not have thought the difference between premium ethanol-free gas and canned gas would throw off the tuning that much.

I've also heard some complaints about quality problems with TruFuel. I have no idea if they are correct or not, but the reports have come from more than one source. (I don't use canned gas, other than the couple of cans I bought with my saw to get the warranty extension from Husqvarna.)

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #138  
It's funny: I've heard reports form some users that their saw runs better on the canned stuff, while others say it doesn't run worth a damn, and switch back to gas from their local station. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of the saw needing to be retuned for the different fuel or something else. The effect described is so dramatic that I would not have thought the difference between premium ethanol-free gas and canned gas would throw off the tuning that much.

I've also heard some complaints about quality problems with TruFuel. I have no idea if they are correct or not, but the reports have come from more than one source. (I don't use canned gas, other than the couple of cans I bought with my saw to get the warranty extension from Husqvarna.)
The octane rating of gasoline drops with time, esp. once the seal on a canned gas container is broken, or in a regular gas can. There's no reason that a saw would not run as well or better on canned gas, so those observing otherwise might just be trying to use fuel that's been opened too long.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #139  
The octane rating of gasoline drops with time, esp. once the seal on a canned gas container is broken, or in a regular gas can. There's no reason that a saw would not run as well or better on canned gas, so those observing otherwise might just be trying to use fuel that's been opened too long.
As long as the octane is above the minimum needed to prevent auto-ignition/knock additional octane does not improve performance. One of those reporting an issue was my neighbor. He normally runs non-ethanol pump gas. He had an unopened new can of 50:1 fuel that came with some other implement he purchased. Put it in his chainsaw, it ran like crap. Went in to town and bought fresh, ethanol free pump gas, mixed up a gallon at 50:1, and it ran fine. I have no idea why it happened, but he is not the only one reporting this problem. I did not catch what brand of canned gas he was using. The problem reports on the Trufuel were from other sources.

Last edited:
   / Echo 590 or the X Series? #140  
As long as the octane is above the minimum needed to prevent auto-ignition/knock additional octane does not improve performance.
That's correct. But note that some chainsaws spec 91 octane minimum, and it's realistic to assume that canned gas might drop below 91 if left open for some period of time.