Echo 590 or the X Series?

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #31  
Go with the 620p Eddie, the X designates a "pro" saw, but don't quote me. It might be the "P". 😆 From what I learned at YouTube university, it's basically a ported 590 with magnesium (covers) and aluminium (handle) along with some engine tweaks.
There's quite a lot of reviews on YouTube with comparisons to both Stihl and Husky. I got the impression that as much as the Stihl and Husky boys hated to do it, they just didn't have anything bad to say about it in the video especially when they were talking $$$.
I bought one to fill the 60cc hole in my collection of saws last December just before a price increase. $600 out the door including 5.5% sales tax.
No issues starting, fueling or oiling the 620x and all my saw run on pump gas with no problems and mix 5 gallons at a time.
They do offer it with a "full wrap" handle!

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #32  
I don't collect saws other than my 075 and 090 which I bought new and don't use now. Everything else gets used. Someday I'll sell the 75 and 90 I suspect. Both are mint too.

I believe the only difference is the displacement, a larger carb and a different ignition coil as far as a full wrap handle I don't need or want that. They both share the same bottom end and engine cases far as I can tell so in reality, only difference is a bit more grunt and a higher initial cost. I forgot, the side cover is alloy on the larger one but alloy or plastic makes little difference to me anyway.

My 590 pulls a 20" bar with full tooth chipper in hardwood, no issue and candidly, that is all I need.

If for some odd reason I required more, I could get the 075 off the shelf and use that heavy saw. When the 75 and 90 idles, they sound like motorcross bikes... :giggle:

Learned long ago that having a sharp loop makes up for a lot of deficiencies in any saw.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #33  
No issues starting, fueling or oiling the 620x and all my saw run on pump gas with no problems and mix 5 gallons at a time.
Better keep a close eye on that pump gas in as much as the gummit is now allowing 15% corn alcohol on regular gas and 15% will cause issues with your engine over time and will assuredly void your warranty of you have mechanical issues.

Why I just run canned gas with oil in it and the Red Armor canned gas runs very clean as well.

As an aside, I finally talked my Kubota dealer into carrying Echo power products along with Bridon Net and Twine and I work there part time so I imagine I'll get to see all the carnage stupid owners inflict on their saws and trimmers. No mechanical work for me, all I do is deliver new and used units with his roll back straight truck but if they are really swamped I will lend a hand taking stuff apart.

For some reason Kubota decided last year not to carry net or twine and having a positive experience with Bridon, I steered him to it. Makes no sense to me in as much as Kubota is now offering hay tools, including round bailers (I have one).

Far as Echo goes, I thought it would be a value added line for him and he agreed. Think I know where my next Echo product will be purchased at. (y)

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #34  
Has it been close to 30-40 years since you owned or bought a echo?
I've actually used several newer Echo saws, since two of my cutting partners buy a lot of Echo, but they're all heavy and underpowered when compared to the better models of the big two brands (Husq/Stihl). The last Echo I personally owned was indeed older (510EVL), for the simple reason that they haven't made anything that keeps up with the other brands on power/weight ratio, in the three-plus decades since.

Look at the brand new CS-590 the OP posted. It's only 0.50 kW/kg! My 30+ year old antique Stihl 064 AV is 36% higher at 0.68 kW/kg. My similarly old 036 PRO is 0.62 kW/kg. Echo has always lagged behind, but when their newest saws are coming in 30% - 40% lower than antiques from Stihl and Husqvarna, you can understand why people who are really into saws are just not buying them.

Echo makes a good market on cost and reliability. They're reliable, and less expensive than pro saws from either Stihl or Husqvarna, which is a good combination. They all have their place, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
   / Echo 590 or the X Series? #35  
I had a 590 before it went back on marketplace. I was pretty underwhelmed. My 6100 Makita which isn’t my favorite saw either would cut circles around it.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #36  
Eddie, I’d make the jump to Stihl pro saws. Echo’s are fine saws, but the Stihl pro saws are really, really nice and they scream.
See if you can find a dealer that sells 5 gallon cans of high octane race fuel and be sure to drain stale fuel from your saws.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #37  
I am a self confessed chainsaw addict. I am not brand loyal but have a few saws that I favor.

The two that go with me back into my woods is the Husky 562XP and the Echo 2511T. They'll handle pretty much anything I need to do and that little Echo weighs nothing so it does a lot of cutting. The day I bought the echo, I ran it for 20 mins and brought it back to the shop and gutted the muffler. It's an absolute beast for a little guy!! But it certainly wasn't cheap at $540

Attachments

• 562XP.jpg
    562XP.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 2511T.jpg
    2511T.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
   / Echo 590 or the X Series? #38  
I've actually used several newer Echo saws, since two of my cutting partners buy a lot of Echo, but they're all heavy and underpowered when compared to the better models of the big two brands (Husq/Stihl). The last Echo I personally owned was indeed older (510EVL), for the simple reason that they haven't made anything that keeps up with the other brands on power/weight ratio, in the three-plus decades since.

Look at the brand new CS-590 the OP posted. It's only 0.50 kW/kg! My 30+ year old antique Stihl 064 AV is 36% higher at 0.68 kW/kg. My similarly old 036 PRO is 0.62 kW/kg. Echo has always lagged behind, but when their newest saws are coming in 30% - 40% lower than antiques from Stihl and Husqvarna, you can understand why people who are really into saws are just not buying them.

Echo makes a good market on cost and reliability. They're reliable, and less expensive than pro saws from either Stihl or Husqvarna, which is a good combination. They all have their place, different strokes for different folks.
I run them all and not biased to any brand. Little echo is my go to in 50cc right now. Half the cost of the 550 and 261 and yes I owned 550 545. Owned several 026's and work on locals 261's. Does the same work.

The echo 590 620 has a long stroke and why guys like them. ;) Open that EPA muffler up and the gains are big. ;) Echo known for choking down their saws.
Plus they also cost close to 1/3 to half of the competitors 2 saws in class by stihl and husky.

Echo has come a long way and I give them a far shake when I get the chance.

ddsaws.jpg

sadtttt.jpg

3cis.png

Last edited:
   / Echo 590 or the X Series? #39  
I have several Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws that are nickel and diming me to death. They are in the shop, or impossible to start. I'm sure it's because I've been using cheap gasoline in them, but they are all well over a decade old and I really want something new. I have an Echo pole saw that's awesome and an Echo weed eater that been great. I like how much easier they have been to start compared to other brands that I've owned.

Home Depot has the CS-590 with a 20 inch bar on sale for $419 right now. That's what I'm planning on buying.

I just noticed that there is also the X Series available with the same size engine and bar that looks just about identical, but it's $630 for the CS-620

So far, all I've been able to see on significant difference is the X Series is 2 1/2 pounds lighter then the 590. While that's significant, I don't think it's worth $200 more. Am I wrong? Is there something else that I should know about the X Series?

My biggest priority is that I can get it started when I want to use it. For now on, I'm planning to buy gasoline without ethanol in it. There is a few gas stations that sell it now. They have a separate nozzle on the other side just for gas without ethanol, kind of like how there is gas on one side and diesel on the other side.
Unless I'm running my chainsaw a lot during the day where I'm replacing the gas/oil frequently I always use the canned fuel. Otherwise I would use non-ethanol gas with 50:1 oil.
Both of my Echo CS-490, that are 4 yrs old, start easily. Also am fanatical about cleaning my saws after finishing cutting for the day.
I pull the access cover to the bar and use compressed air to clean everything. Sharpen the chain so that the saw doesn't work so hard.
When I use my chainsaw the next time, which could be months, I know the chain is sharp and everything is lubricated and ready to go.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #40  
Eddie, I’d make the jump to Stihl pro saws. Echo’s are fine saws, but the Stihl pro saws are really, really nice and they scream.
See if you can find a dealer that sells 5 gallon cans of high octane race fuel and be sure to drain stale fuel from your saws.
I almost bought a 261 about 10 years ago and kick myself for not stepping up to that model, but aren't the Stihls now almost double the price of the Echos?