echo or sthil trimmer

/ echo or sthil trimmer #11  
Living in Florida, the road crews use Echos for a reason and I have the home owner version and it kicks fanny good
:)

/ echo or sthil trimmer #12  
BrianW said:
My dealer here also sells Stihl and Echo. He told me "Chainsaws - Stihl, Leaf Blowers and String trimmers - Echo". I took his advise on both accounts and have not been sorry.

As I mentioned earlier, I have Stihl string trimmers that are around 15 years old and have had extremely hard lives and they still work better than many brand new units and still start on the first pull. I certainly have not had any better chain saws than my German made Stihl saws. However, I do own a Echo backpack leaf blower model PB755T and it is extremely nice. Echo just doesn't have much of the market where I live. All of the county highway departments use Stihl and almost all of the larger commercial mowing companies use Stihl trimmers. As I said, my Stihl trimmers have never broken (and have outlasted any expectation of them) so I have no experience with Echo trimmers; just that big leaf blower, and it's a beast!

/ echo or sthil trimmer #13  
I am not familiar with the echo line of products. I do own the Stihl FS 250 with bicycle bars, full harness (a must have), circular blade and 3 prong star blade. Mine is the 2 stroke model and I love it as much as my Stihl chainsaw. It has so much power that almost no amount of grass can slow it down. It also made me a believer in the square string. Well worth the extra cost. The smaller string just disappears with so much power behind it.

Let us know what you decide on.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #14  
I just bought an ECHO PAS 260. It had the quick change head on it. It's very nice. I only have the trimmer and tiller now and both work grea. Will get more attachments down the road. Takes about 20 seconds to change to a different attachment. The dealer (very prominent in the area and carries Stihl and ECHo along with Honda)) where I bought mine from said that ECHO was the number 1 brand in trimmers by a wide margin. Said most of all the professionals in the area use ECHO and I would agree he is right as that is mostly what I see. Some Stihls, but mostly ECHO. My unit has all the power I could ask for.

I wouldn't look at the HP rating for these anyway as there are all sorts of games these companies play with their HP ratings. I'd look at the CC's for the size of engine and also by on reputation. I would say that Stihl and ECHO are both at the top of the list for trimmers with ECHO at the top.for their reputation.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #15  
Stihl, hands down. I've used them professionally for years and wouldn't think of buying anything else. The FS 110 will do just about anything without breaking the bank.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #16  
I know you didn't ask and I'm not trying to start a brand war, but for what it counts, I LOVE my Shindaiwa. I'm in no way connected to them. Just a very satisfied consumer. I have the M230 with 3 attachments, string trimmer, pole saw, and articulating hedge trimmer. So needless to say, it gets used year round. I think it is almost 5 years old. I see many commercial lawn trailers with them on the racks around here.
I bought an Echo blower (handheld $190) and it is handy but it doesn't blow as hard as I wished it would. I would probably buy a backpak style next time.

Shindaiwa

/ echo or sthil trimmer #17  
eschoendorff said:
Stihl, hands down. I've used them professionally for years and wouldn't think of buying anything else. The FS 110 will do just about anything without breaking the bank.

Now stop that!! :mad: With you guys talking about how nice the FS 110 is, and seeing them everywhere in commercial use and in use by all our highway departments, you're making me want one of the new FS 110's! :eek:

/ echo or sthil trimmer #18  
Hi

Stihl makes good string trimmers and run very well. The big down fall with Stihl is that( at least from my experence) they are a pain in the butt to start on a relativily hot day. When it's cool out side.... No starting problems. Would love to try and start a Echo or Deere on a hot day though. I also have a Stihl Backpack blower and it is also a pain in the butt to start on a hot day. If your going to be using it on hot or humid days, buy an Echo otherwise Stihl is a decent product. Take Care Jason B

/ echo or sthil trimmer #19  
Re Echo vs Stihl... I lived near Austin, Tx for 19 years. Just moved up here to Western Colorado a year ago... I noted that MOST of the professional lawn-care companies in the Austin area used Echo's.

I had never heard of Echo. I'd always used the Weed-Eater, and was very dis-satisfied with it. Went thru 3 of them in the previous 15 or so years. So - when I was in the market - I took a close look at what the "pros" used - and talked to a few of them. They almost exclusively used the Echo - because it gave them the performance they needed, plus good warranty and excellent reliability.

So - I bought one. And I'm happy with my purchase. Works good, starts easy, never had a problem.

Sorry - I know nothing about the Stihl's - this is just my 2 cents worth concerning my experience with my Echo. I'm sure the Stihl is a good machine, too.

Good luck.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #20  
shindaiwa is now one of the the dominant brands in commercial trimmers and blowers in my area. i started out with a blower then a trimmer,pole chain saw and now reg 18'' bar chain saw. have been vey satisfied with shindaiwa.