echo or sthil trimmer

/ echo or sthil trimmer #21  
Jason B said:
Hi

Stihl makes good string trimmers and run very well. The big down fall with Stihl is that( at least from my experence) they are a pain in the butt to start on a relativily hot day. When it's cool out side.... No starting problems. Would love to try and start a Echo or Deere on a hot day though. I also have a Stihl Backpack blower and it is also a pain in the butt to start on a hot day. If your going to be using it on hot or humid days, buy an Echo otherwise Stihl is a decent product. Take Care Jason B

I've never had that problem. My Stihls have always started easily regardless of weather. Of course, in years past, I had noticed a lot of the "professionals" using Echo. At the current time, in addition to the box stores, there are three good sized dealers in my area who handle Stihl; one of the three also handles Echo. That one is also the one farthest from me. And as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Echo was just a little bit heavier. So those two factors made me go for the Stihl. I'm happy with what I have, but I'd also bet I'd be happy with the Echo, too.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #22  
Jason B said:
Hi

Stihl makes good string trimmers and run very well. The big down fall with Stihl is that( at least from my experence) they are a pain in the butt to start on a relativily hot day. When it's cool out side.... No starting problems. Would love to try and start a Echo or Deere on a hot day though. I also have a Stihl Backpack blower and it is also a pain in the butt to start on a hot day. If your going to be using it on hot or humid days, buy an Echo otherwise Stihl is a decent product. Take Care Jason B
That shouldn't be happening. If you are having hot start problems, then something is clearly wrong. Mine (FS 74, FS 76 and FS 110) will all start in 95* heat without any problem.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #23  
I have an Echo 261T. I'm very happy with it, but don't doubt that I'd also be happy with a Stihl, Shindaiwa or Husky.

It has a flex cable, which means you won't be able to use it as a drive head for power brooms, etc. It's for trimming and brushcutting only.

Good string makes a big difference.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #24  
eschoendorff said:
That shouldn't be happening. If you are having hot start problems, then something is clearly wrong. Mine (FS 74, FS 76 and FS 110) will all start in 95* heat without any problem.

Hi My are a FS 55R and FS 55T Stihl trimmers. The FS 55R starts without problems in the heat, but the FS 55T has a hard time starting in the heat. Had local dealer work on the 55T twice and it still has a hard time starting in the heat. Not sure what the problem is. Take Care Jason B

/ echo or sthil trimmer #25  
koop said:
I am not familiar with the echo line of products. I do own the Stihl FS 250 with bicycle bars, full harness (a must have), circular blade and 3 prong star blade. Mine is the 2 stroke model and I love it as much as my Stihl chainsaw. It has so much power that almost no amount of grass can slow it down. It also made me a believer in the square string. Well worth the extra cost. The smaller string just disappears with so much power behind it.

Let us know what you decide on.
I have the same model and though I have used it hard, that has come at a cost. From new, mine never started easily nor would it idle consistantly until the dealer replaced the carb out of warrenty but at cost with me paying the labor.

I used mine mainly for keeping the fencelines clear for many years going through six of those plastic trimmer blade heads. (My wife never wanted me to spray the lines with herbacide due to having young horses around. Those days are gone so I now spray them.)

Anyway, I suppose everyone gets a dog on occasion but my Stilh 029 Farmboss chainsaw has also had numberous problems.

I also have a Stihl hedge trimmer and a Stihl backpack sprayer. Those have been fine.

My intention is to try a Shindaiwa when I need to replace my trimmer.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #26  
Bird said:
I've never had that problem. My Stihls have always started easily regardless of weather. Of course, in years past, I had noticed a lot of the "professionals" using Echo. At the current time, in addition to the box stores, there are three good sized dealers in my area who handle Stihl; one of the three also handles Echo. That one is also the one farthest from me. And as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Echo was just a little bit heavier. So those two factors made me go for the Stihl. I'm happy with what I have, but I'd also bet I'd be happy with the Echo, too.

I echo Bird (couldn't refuse the pun)...My Stihl MS440 chain saw is pretty easy to start considering that it is a fairly large saw.

I purchased an Echo trimmer last weekend...the Stihl dealer was closed. Home Depot had the Echo's on sale and I purchased the 2nd to largest (not sure of the model right now..), promptly fueled it, and ran it out of line. It was taking down some difficult brush for that size machine. I'm happy with it, and had I purchased a Stihl, I'm sure I'd be thrilled.

Best of luck.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #27  
I'm always skeptical of anything sold at Home Depot. Echo maybe fine now, but give the ole depot a few years and see whats left.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #28  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I'm always skeptical of anything sold at Home Depot. Echo maybe fine now, but give the ole depot a few years and see whats left.

Nah, I doubt if it changes Echo at all. Their are many companies that have consumer models at The Home DeCrap. Deere for one. They haven't gone to pot since marketing their L series their. They just sell more low end L series.

The problem with most tractor dealers that market to the general public is their hours. If you have regular hours at your job you will be lucky f you can get to the dealer while they are open. The Home Decrap is open 7 days a week and late at that. Makes going to look and buy something like a trimmer much easier. I still try to buy at my dealer, but most people haven't even stepped foot into a tractor dealer.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #29  
The 261 is my sixth piece of Echo equipment, and have been extremely pleased. Starting in 2007 they have a 5 Year warranty. Just keep the fuel fresh.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #30  
MessickFarmEqu said:

I think I know what you're getting at...squeezing suppliers? Maybe like CNH? Kubota? Deere? (or any other corporation...)

I ran my trimmer again today for about 5 hours. It did well. I'm happy with my selection.