Economy series any good?

/ Economy series any good? #21  
I too prefer a clutch. It is my blood that a tractor comes with a stick shift and that's that.

/ Economy series any good? #22  
I love a clutch. However based on the advice here and here at home opted for the e hydro. I must say I was nervous and skeptical. Now after putting it to the test I feel it's the only way to work efficiently. Think of it as a comparison between a ztr mower an standard lawn tractor. Both will get the job done but at the end of the day the ztr was faster and lower fatigue. The same can be said for the e hydro vs power reverser tranny. You'll get your money beck with the time saved.

Rr

/ Economy series any good? #23  
for only working on 5 acres of land.

I have a 4320 / 400x and love it. I'm sure I'm missing something, but a 4320 is not a small tractor and would be huge overkill for 5 acres.

/ Economy series any good? #24  
Not sure where others are getting 5 year 0% financing here in the states. Over the past few weeks at several JD dealers the only 0% financing I have heard of is for 3 years. (Even with excellent credit rating.) Someone let me know if I am wrong on this or if they have heard that JD will be changing it soon. Perhaps it is different for different machines. (I was getting quotes for the 3520, 4105 and 4120.)

Back to Shuttle-Power Reverser Trans vs Hydro-- I am also fan of a clutch, but eHydro has won me over. Very easy to customize, extremely simple to use, and way easier on my left knee. I was talking to a 68 year old farmer here who has driven tractors all his life. His last tractor had eHydro, but he traded for another with Shuttle-Power Rev. I assumed that he didn't like the eHydro, so I asked him what he liked better. He misses the eHydro. Of course, eHydro costs $800-$1000 more, so it ain't free. Bottom line- in my opinion, it is really a personal preference, so again, I would strongly recommend to anyone that they test drive both before buying. And remember, all Hydrostatic Transmissions are not equal, so don't discount all of them based on one version. As I said earlier in the post, even the 4105 and 4120 hydros differ significantly. Just my humble two-cents.

This is very puzzling. I got 0% for 60 in September on my 5045. I think all Utility and Compact Utility Tractors were eligible. Check the website at Deere.com

/ Economy series any good? #25  
I'd bet ~$7K has many other opportunities awaiting it (-:
(Even at JD prices) that might get you a hoe for the back end ?

It may depend what else you have/want/need and whether you are trying to stay within a fixed budget or just trying to get the most utility per buck.
IOW - very much a personal choice.

/ Economy series any good? #26  
For my 25ac I went with the 5103 which is a 45HP with a shuttle shift. I was able to pick mine up with the 512 FEL for about $13.5. I'm with the perferring the clutch group. So far it's been every thing I've needed in a tractor. I also like the simplicity of the machine as it makes it very easy to maintain. No computer nothing special just a good basic tractor. Good luck on your purchase.

Richard.

/ Economy series any good? #27  
I too like the clutch. Nothing against hydro, just seems like a tractor. You don't see near as many post about gear tractors with troubles. But I bet the hydros get better every year.

/ Economy series any good? #28  
For my 25ac I went with the 5103 which is a 45HP with a shuttle shift. I was able to pick mine up with the 512 FEL for about $13.5. I'm with the perferring the clutch group. So far it's been every thing I've needed in a tractor. I also like the simplicity of the machine as it makes it very easy to maintain. No computer nothing special just a good basic tractor. Good luck on your purchase.

Richard.

I spent many years in automation system development. One of the principles that we followed was the KISS principle, "Keep It Simple, Stupid." Nothing simpler than a clutch and a few gears that are rearranged with a handle. Makes the tractor cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and cheaper to repair, not to mention less frequency of repair.

PLEASE don't get me wrong! They make all different sorts of machines because there are all different sorts of customers with different likes and dislikes. Anyone is free to buy whatever they like. I'm not condemning anyone because they don't have the same likes and dislikes as myself. It's what makes the world interesting. It is personal preference and anyone should buy what they want and are willing to pay for. Live and let live!

/ Economy series any good?
PLEASE don't get me wrong! They make all different sorts of machines because there are all different sorts of customers with different likes and dislikes. Anyone is free to buy whatever they like. I'm not condemning anyone because they don't have the same likes and dislikes as myself. It's what makes the world interesting. It is personal preference and anyone should buy what they want and are willing to pay for. Live and let live!

Amen!

/ Economy series any good? #30  
Interesting replies. I had the same questions a month ago and the thread was very pro hydro. Keep in mind these are opinions drive both and think about your application. This will help more than anything.

Rr