Economy series any good?

/ Economy series any good? #31  
Interesting replies. I had the same questions a month ago and the thread was very pro hydro. Keep in mind these are opinions drive both and think about your application. This will help more than anything.

Rr

I noticed this too.:D
I get a kick out of the people who have their minds made up without ever having used both gear and hydro trannies extensively.

/ Economy series any good? #32  
I've operated quite a few machines of all types with all sorts of transmission arrangements, tractors and otherwise. For me a clutch pedal is just no problem, so hydro transmissions and the like, just don't do anything for me. I understand, however, that many people are not as old with as much clutch experience as myself, or for whatever reason, loathe a clutch pedal. For me with the sync reverser on my 5045, I can maneuver back and forth all day long and think nothing of it.

In my case, I'm a TIGHT WAD! My priority is having what costs less money to buy and operate and is most reliable. Most people are not a tightwad like me and they can afford or are willing to spend the extra up front cost and spend the extra money for operating costs.

Everyone has different priorities in all phases of their life. With cars for example, some want the best looking car. Others want the fastest car. Others want the cheapest car, Others don't mind spending big bucks for car for whatever reason......................

It's all about your personal priorities and RiverRat is right..... drive different arrangements before you make a choice. Shopping is part of the fun anyway.

/ Economy series any good? #33  
I've operated quite a few machines of all types with all sorts of transmission arrangements, tractors and otherwise. For me a clutch pedal is just no problem, so hydro transmissions and the like, just don't do anything for me. I understand, however, that many people are not as old with as much clutch experience as myself, or for whatever reason, loathe a clutch pedal. For me with the sync reverser on my 5045, I can maneuver back and forth all day long and think nothing of it.

In my case, I'm a TIGHT WAD! My priority is having what costs less money to buy and operate and is most reliable. Most people are not a tightwad like me and they can afford or are willing to spend the extra up front cost and spend the extra money for operating costs.

Everyone has different priorities in all phases of their life. With cars for example, some want the best looking car. Others want the fastest car. Others want the cheapest car, Others don't mind spending big bucks for car for whatever reason......................

It's all about your personal priorities and RiverRat is right..... drive different arrangements before you make a choice. Shopping is part of the fun anyway.

MB,
I am pushing 60 so I have had lots of experience with clutches. One of the issues I would have with a clutch pedal is it is a hard reach for me when sitting in the backhoe seat. Not everyone has a backhoe but there seems to be quite a bit if interest in these attachments with the first time tractor shoppers. Some of these issues can be easily missed when looking at all the new paint. The Creep to Reposition feature on my 110tlb will be added to some of the new Deere equipment now as I understand and I can say it is a handy feature that would require an E hydro.

/ Economy series any good? #34  
MB,
I am pushing 60 so I have had lots of experience with clutches. One of the issues I would have with a clutch pedal is it is a hard reach for me when sitting in the backhoe seat. Not everyone has a backhoe but there seems to be quite a bit if interest in these attachments with the first time tractor shoppers. Some of these issues can be easily missed when looking at all the new paint. The Creep to Reposition feature on my 110tlb will be added to some of the new Deere equipment now as I understand and I can say it is a handy feature that would require an E hydro.

Great point and the kind of information the OP needs to consider if he's gonna' use a backhoe. As I had said in my post: "or for whatever reason, loathe a clutch pedal." You offer a pretty good reason to loathe it under your specific application.

Your post is a real good example of the kind of information that can be had in such a forum. It could save someone from making a tractor decision, knowing that they were going to add a backhoe later, then be surprised. Makes it worth beating it to death on a forum like this.

/ Economy series any good? #36  
I noticed this too.:D
I get a kick out of the people who have their minds made up without ever having used both gear and hydro trannies extensively.

Hey....I resemble this remark!! :laughing:

Actually....I have been around tractors and implements most of my life. Having grown up around the 'chinery biz....I can remember folks trying to understand why they needed things like power steering, live hydraulics, diesel engines, or live PTO, Lots of new features are resisted.....some of them rightfully so...but most are resisted just cause we are creatures of old habits.

There is nothing wrong with sliding gear transmissions, or power shifts, etc.....but I sure like a hydro. :D (especially with loader work)

One thing that does not get said oftentimes....where are you going to store this new tractor? It's one thing to keep a complex machine on concrete, in a clean garage. It's quite another to keep it under a lean-to and partially exposed to the elements, insects and little critters. In the latter case....simple is better!!

Another thing that doesn't get said often enough.....the smaller sized tractors being discussed here are easy to haul for any service work needed. The larger sizes are much more difficult (with ordinary trucks and trailers). The hauling fees these days are crazy!!

Last edited:
   / Economy series any good? #37  
foggy,
All very true, especially the part about hauling, I am about 450 miles from home sitting in my truck camper in Durango, CO. as I type this. This was a fairly easy tow for the 110tlb, if I had purchased a Terex 760B as I had originally planned it would have been out of the question. My friend and I are setting up utilities for two rv's and a shop plus reworking a drive through the property next week.