Eggs & Egg Prices

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #41  
I give quite a few eggs away, but mostly I boil my extra's and feed them back to the flock, shells and all, best baby chick feed around.

I buy my feed right out of the field, corn, wheat, oats, I pay market price at that time.

Watched a program on TV the other day about a fellow in CA, his chicken coop's were on wheels moved them around his farm, sold his free range eggs at a farmers market for $8.50 a dozen, demand was high.

Have fun

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #42  
I used to take some to the local farmers market, but this past year the city decided we were getting too rich selling our couple dozen eggs each week and demanded that we pay for a city "peddler's license" and get some kind of state egg certificate. I couldn't see spending money for the privilege of selling eggs at a loss at the farmers market.

Sometimes you can't win!

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #43  
I used to take some to the local farmers market, but this past year the city decided we were getting too rich selling our couple dozen eggs each week and demanded that we pay for a city "peddler's license" and get some kind of state egg certificate. I couldn't see spending money for the privilege of selling eggs at a loss at the farmers market.

Sometimes you can't win!

The civic "fathers", who in their wisdom, launch local farmer's markets, which costs them virtually nothing, and provides community activity, but then over charge the vendors for "lot rent" simply don't understand, apparently, that we are not going to do this work, pack up our vegetables and eggs, truck them into market to give a municipality those high fees, which can represent our total profit for the day.

This is poor civic decision making. Sadly, it is repeated almost everywhere.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices
The civic "fathers", who in their wisdom, launch local farmer's markets, which costs them virtually nothing, and provides community activity, but then over charge the vendors for "lot rent" simply don't understand, apparently, that we are not going to do this work, pack up our vegetables and eggs, truck them into market to give a municipality those high fees, which can represent our total profit for the day.

This is poor civic decision making. Sadly, it is repeated almost everywhere.

Dallas, TX, has had a pretty large "Farmers Market" longer than most of us can remember. Some of the sheds had vendors who were actually the producing farmers while the vendors in other sheds were dealers. The Farmers Market is located right at the south edge of downtown Dallas, so traffic has always been a bit of a problem. Anyway, the city claims to have been losing money, so they've advertised for bids for a private company to take over management of the Farmers Market. They've extended the deadline for bids a couple of times and still only have one bidder. So I don't know what they're going to do.

When I worked downtown, I was occasionally a customer at the Farmers Market; both for the quality of the produce and for the prices, but it's just too much trouble to go down there now.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #45  
My sons had chickens for 4H and also an egg business. Boys were 11 & 12 when they started. Took about 8 dozen to local farmers market and got $3/doz. Boys sales pitch was the best though. "We've got brown eggs fresh from a chickens butt" they sold out everytime we went. That is until we were told we need some type of certificate/license to sell.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #46  
My sons had chickens for 4H and also an egg business. Boys were 11 & 12 when they started. Took about 8 dozen to local farmers market and got $3/doz. Boys sales pitch was the best though. "We've got brown eggs fresh from a chickens butt" they sold out everytime we went. That is until we were told we need some type of certificate/license to sell.
WOW!!What in the heck is the good old USA coming to when a couple of farm boys try to sell some eggs and they are told they need a license to sell them.coobie