EGO Power Lawn Equipment

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Does anyone have any personal knowledge/experience/information/opinion about the EGO battery powered 56volt self propelled lawnmower, string trimmer, and/or blower? What I've read so far sure makes me think seriously about going from gasoline powered lawn equipment to battery powered.

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment #2  
I can't comment on the ego, but I purchased some of the echos, chainsaw, weedeater, and blower. They aren't as powerful as gas ones but they get the job done. It is very nice to pick it up and pull the trigger and it runs. Especially for items that aren't used every week. The echo is a 56v setup too I believe. Bigger AH batteries are a good thing with them. I had looked briefly at the egos but was grabbed by the 5yr warranty on the echos which included the batteries. I don't regret getting mine. Don't smell like 2cycle, and a lot quieter. Pros and cons to them but glad I got my cordless yard tools. Hope this helps.

Adam

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment
Thanks, Adam.

Looks as if not many of our members use the battery powered lawn equipment. And that's not surprising, since most of our members have large enough places to have tractors. So I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I've ordered the Ego lawnmower, string trimmer, and blower to get them this next week. They also have battery powered chain saws and hedge shears, but I don't need those.

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment #4  
Thanks, Adam.

Looks as if not many of our members use the battery powered lawn equipment. And that's not surprising, since most of our members have large enough places to have tractors. So I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I've ordered the Ego lawnmower, string trimmer, and blower to get them this next week. They also have battery powered chain saws and hedge shears, but I don't need those.

Bird I have a friend with the Lawn Mower, got it at either Lowes or Home Depot. He likes it says it quite and does a good job as long as he keep the blade sharp. He advised he had the salesman install a battery in the trimmer and found it was heavy to him and did not quite feel as balanced as his old trimmer. So he mows with the Ego and trims with the Echo.

I got my self propelled Ego mower and the 15" string trimmer today along with one regular charger and one quick charger, one 7.5 Ah and one 2.5 Ah battery. I didn't want the blower they had in stock (480 CFM), so they're ordering the 530 CFM blower for me. But . . . . I got about .75" of rain Saturday, 2.15" Sunday, and .3" so far today. So I haven't used the new equipment yet, but I'm sure the yard will need mowing as soon as it gets reasonably dry.

Apparently The Home Depot is the major dealer for Ego, but I decided to go with Ed's Lawn Equipment in Addison, TX. Same price as The Home Depot.

Adam, I guess you know any of their batteries, 2.0 Ah, 2.5 Ah, 4.0 Ah, 5.0 Ah, and 7.5 Ah, will work in any of the tools, but there's a difference in the weight and the length of time they'll run the tool. The 7.5 is the standard in the self propelled mower, while the 5.0 is the standard in the push mower, and the 2.5 is the standard in the 15" string trimmer, while the 2.0 is the standard in the 12" string trimmer.

Another odd thing is that the mower comes with the bag, as well as the plug if you want to use it as a mulcher. But if you want the side discharge chute, you have to request it from the company after you buy the mower, which I did this afternoon. The only problem is that they say 2 to 8 weeks to get it.

Last edited:
I mowed my yard and the neighbor's on the north side of us a couple of days ago, then the one on the south side of us yesterday. The one south of us was deeper, thicker grass, and there was more string trimming and edging to do, so I thought it would be a better test of the mower and string trimmer capabilities. I'll have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised. Neither tool showed any signs of straining or struggling, and did a very good job.

On my Toro gas mower, wet grass would build up on the bottom side of the deck and be quite a mess to clean out. So I very surprised to find no build up, even mulching a lawn with pretty heavy dew on it, with the Ego. I don't know if it has some kind of anti-stick stuff on it, or if it's just the fact that it's a polymer deck.

I don't understand why the string trimmer comes with .080" line on it, when everything clearly states that it's for .095" line. Anyway, I bought a spare spool of the .095" but haven't used it yet; just the .080".

It does take just a few hours to get accustomed to the mower's self propulsion system and the string trimmer's light weight, but if they hold up over time (and they have a 5 year warranty), they'll be the best lawn care equipment I've ever used.

And nope, I own no stock in the company, and couldn't care less whether anyone else wants to try battery power instead of gasoline. But quiet and clean is sure nice for an old man.:laughing:

I've wondered how long a battery would run the lawnmower, so Monday I found out. To start with, I'd never seen a walk behind lawnmower with headlights, but the Ego has LED headlights, so I started mowing our back yard before daylight Monday morning. That took about 30 minutes. Then I turned off the headlights and mowed our front yard and the front yard on the north side of us. I got about a third of the way through with his back yard when the 7.5 Ah battery played out. So I just put it on the charger, put one of the 2.5 Ah batteries in the mower and finished the job.

I also used the last of the .080" line on the string trimmer, put the .095" line on it, and used it on another yard that had taller, thicker grass to cut. It worked as well as my Stihl gas trimmer did and was much quieter.

Gator6x4, I think the Ego string trimmer is lighter than my Stihl was. Of course I only used it with the 2.5 Ah battery. It would undoubtedly be heavier if I used the 7.5 Ah battery. There's another little difference that takes a bit of getting used to, and that's the fact that the Ego string trimmer turns the opposite direction from the Stihl gas trimmer.

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment #8  
We have the hedge trimmer and like it. I don't know yet how long the battery will last. we have trimmed about a dozen bushes that were pretty much overgrown and it is still going with no signs of letting up. Was thinking of getting a ego mower but they are twice the price so am still thinking about it. Ed

I have very little hedge trimming to do and I have some cheap corded electric trimmers for that. I also have a corded electric chain saw. So I didn't buy the Ego versions; just wouldn't have enough use for them.

/ EGO Power Lawn Equipment #10  
Bird, we have the EGO mower, hedge trimmer, weed eater and blower. This is the third year on the mower and still going strong. I did sharpen the blade once. We like to use it around the pool it makes very little dust with no bag or chute attached. I just got the hedge trimmers this year and found and unexpected use - Mowing the steep rocky embankment between the gravel road and the front fence. I cut it about knee high it is much quicker than a weed eater. The blower has a turbo button along with a hi-lo button works great. If I'm fast I can do the entire acre yard with the weed eater which has plenty of power. Definitely 5 star lawn equipment.