Electric Chain Saws

/ Electric Chain Saws #21  
Well since you dug up an old thread and I read the whole thing :unsure:
I used my son's Milwaukee M18 while working on his trail and it worked very well and now that my FIL can't handle a gas saw anymore we have gotten him one for his birthday next week hope he likes it. It still has a little weight to it but he will not have to pull on it to start it and if he needs to cut something that's to big I'll help him out.

/ Electric Chain Saws #22  
Stihl w/16" bar. I prefer to use it over my gas saw now for taking down trees. Battery good for about 45 minutes of dropping and delimbing.

On the minus side anything electrical on these saws are un-repairable by owner and have to be taken to the dealership. At least they have a 3 year warranty

/ Electric Chain Saws #23  
Check out the thrift shop always seems to be ones there for under $20.

/ Electric Chain Saws #24  
The one thing potentally bad about electric chainsaws is chaps are not designed to stop electric chain saws. Too much torque. I saw this in Stihl's website some time ago. Maybe something has come out since to protect your legs, don't know. That said, I love my 18vx2 Makita 14" bar chain saw. Jon

/ Electric Chain Saws #25  
The one thing potentally bad about electric chainsaws is chaps are not designed to stop electric chain saws. Too much torque. I saw this in Stihl's website some time ago. Maybe something has come out since to protect your legs, don't know. That said, I love my 18vx2 Makita 14" bar chain saw. Jon
There's a video on another thread that shows this is mostly a lawyer problem. The chaps still bound up an electric saw. More importantly, electric saws stop immediately when you let go of trigger.

/ Electric Chain Saws #26  
never used an elec saw in my 50 yrs of using chain saws, corded or battery. my understanding is that the technology has greatly improved, & i'm sure they have their place esp for consumer/homeowner suburban use.
my MS260 & 460 always start easily & provide all the power i need for projects. would never consider corded or battery saws. but glad elec saws work for many forum members...

if the tool works well, use it, regardless of power source. regards,

/ Electric Chain Saws #27  
Way long ago I bought a Remington Limb N Trim. May have asked more of it than it could deliver, and parts melted. Had it only "limbed and trimmed" it may have lived.

About 9 years ago I bought a HF extendable 120V pole saw. Works great, no problems. Gave it to #3 Son a couple years ago when I went cordless. He can reach any trees on his property with a 100' cord, and it's still going strong. I didn't like being tethered the house by a cord. I did drag one of the generators along a few times. Picture below is #2 Son using it when I borrowed a bucket truck from work to take a tree down at his place.

My 20V DeWalt pole saw is a little beast. It was the only saw I used to cut the tree to the point you see it in the second picture. It was handy to be able to drop that much while standing on the creek bank with one extension. The tractor has more equipment for the second phase when I needed to get up close with the Stihl for bigger cuts.

Most recent is a DeWalt 12" (DCCS620) that is real handy and gets grabbed much more often than the ol' Stihl. Being able to slap a battery in it and pull the trigger makes life easy. Goofy thing I don't care for is that for storage it needs to lay with the driver's side (or, if you refer to your bud as "mate", passenger side) up or it leaks chain oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • A Getting Ready.JPG
    A Getting Ready.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
   / Electric Chain Saws #28  

There’s dozens of YouTube videos of electric saws vs chaps and the chaps always stop them. Sometimes the saw might cut a tiny bit through but it’s minor enough to not be a big deal and it was usually a completely unrealistic test. Nobody is going to keep sawing on their leg for 10 seconds.

/ Electric Chain Saws #29  
There’s dozens of YouTube videos of electric saws vs chaps and the chaps always stop them. Sometimes the saw might cut a tiny bit through but it’s minor enough to not be a big deal and it was usually a completely unrealistic test. Nobody is going to keep sawing on their leg for 10 seconds.
My comments were because if my memory was correct, Stihl's website is the place I read it a while back. Now, has chap design changed since then? Don't know. Also haven't looked at their website lately either. Jon

/ Electric Chain Saws #30  
$29.95 chimineese Worx here just for the heck of it! --- I only use it around the yard but did take it and the generator out in the woods one time. Does great for light use, cuts about as fast as the stihl ms 250 which aint bad!