electric log splitter

/ electric log splitter #1  

okclumberjack

ok ladys & germs almost done with my log splitter, 5 hp. compressor grade electric motor, 13.6 gpm pump, 4 inch x 22 ram , might have it done by this weekend, will keep you informed on how it works, looks pretty good unfortuntaely don't know how to post pics & don't have a dig camera maybe i'll build a camera next LOL this has been alot of work/fun & haven't saved any money @ all but it's really heavy duty & electric which is what i wanted will keep you informed thanks for all the help a few months back when i was posting about electrical log splitters.

/ electric log splitter #2  
Maybe it's just me, and cause it's not my ball of headaches, lol but that sounds like a fabricating adventure!

/ electric log splitter #3  
Where are the pics, and who are the germs?
:D

/ electric log splitter #4  
I hope it works for you.but I'm a little uncertain about the pump size and horsepower. I used to stall out my 10 horse gas engine running a single stage gear pump with about that flow. You can always put a smaller pulley on the motor if you have problems and are in fact, using a belt....

/ electric log splitter #5  
It will work but it wont last with the motor you plan on using.

An electric motor will not stall, it will just over current itself. And it will eventually burn up.

Not to mention that compressor motors are and open drip-proof type. Ypu really need a TEFC motor for the environment, and you need a farm duty motor.

Most compressor-duty 5HP motors are rated @ 15A, and with a 13.6 GPM pump, I can assure you that you will be drawing more than 20-21A @ rated PSI. We tried an electric motor on a 11GPM pump as an expirement and it drew 19-20A. Not to mention compressor motors only have a SF of 1.0. Which means EVERY time you go over the rated amps, it does permanent damage to the windings in the motor until it fails.

A REAL 5HP farm duty motor would be rated at 25A or more and have a SF of 1.15 or more. This means you could draw up to at least 28.75A before you actually hurt the motor. They are expensive. ~$400. But with lifespans of 10000 hours, it will outlast the rest of your splitter, or any gas motor you could put on it.

Good luck with the project. But if it is a new motor, I wouldn't use it and waste the money you have invested in it. Send it back and get the appropriate motor. But if it is used and you have next to nothing in it, go for it as you arent out much. IMO

/ electric log splitter #6  
It will be intresting to follow your progress! I have heard that Electric motors, yields something like 2.5 more power than a Gas engine! Guess you'll be our test 'rabbit'! No doubt a 220v rig(?) Keep us all posted with specs and pics! Welcome to TBN! ~Scotty

Wow! LD1- Good info! We were posting at the same time! ~S

/ electric log splitter #7  
I have a 110V Ryobi splitter with-perhaps-a 2 horse motor so powerwise I think you are ok. I split about 2 cords last winter (maple) and my son split about twice that (fir) and again this summer I split about 3 cords (maple) more. My only problem was unsticking a valve on the switch. Electric is great since no power is used while you rearange the rounds and/or stack the wood-but use a heavy duty extention cord if far from the plug. I also co-own a gas splitter but haven't needed it for past two years.

/ electric log splitter #8  
Just taking this to the next level, I've been intrieged with the 'flywheel' ones that seem to kick butt, and quickly!!!

/ electric log splitter #9  
I have a 110V Ryobi splitter with-perhaps-a 2 horse motor so powerwise I think you are ok. I split about 2 cords last winter (maple) and my son split about twice that (fir) and again this summer I split about 3 cords (maple) more. My only problem was unsticking a valve on the switch. Electric is great since no power is used while you rearange the rounds and/or stack the wood-but use a heavy duty extention cord if far from the plug. I also co-own a gas splitter but haven't needed it for past two years.

I think the OP was talking about a completely different breed of cat. Seems to me, anyway. No offense meant, as I was also wondering if he was talking the Ryobi "breed" as well. :) Seems the OP wants to switch an electric motor into the place of a gas engine.

/ electric log splitter #10  
I converted my 5 HP gas 24 ton firewood splitter with 11 GPM pump to a 5 HP electric splitter with a 16 GPM pump. I have been very happy with the conversion. It would take me 15 minutes to convert back but i have yet to do so.

It is a light duty 15 Amp GE 5 HP compressor (i think the amps mean this is really a smaller HP motor that produces 5 HP near stalling). Places like Sears i believe often rated a 1 HP motor as 2 HP in this manner.

I split about 12 face cord with it this past Spring with no problems so far. I would have been less worried if it pulled 20 - 24 amps.

Ken