Electric Pole transformer cost

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #21  
<font color="blue"> He wants to keep his insurance out of it, but I don't see why. (Unless he has improper or lapsed coverage...) </font>

My guess would be that he is uninsured and may never have had insurance. You can call his bluff on that easily enough. Just ask him for the name of his agent. You can tell him you're not going to do anything other than verify his coverage and that you'll tell the agent you're a potential customer and just looking to verify coverage.

My guess is he'll balk at this and that'll be your confirmation that there is no insurance coverage.

If you want to do this in more of a 'stealth' mode, have someone else contact this guy about some work and agree to the work pending confiming insurance coverage and try to get the information that way.

Again, my guess is he'll balk at this and there'll be no information forthcoming.

<font color="blue"> He also "hid" when the electric company showed up, saying he was just helping. </font>

That certainly says something about his character, doesn't it? If you were right there and said nothing you could have hurt your position in this if you end up in court over this. It sounds like the electric company was told or at least lead to believe this was a D-I-Y project gone bad. That's why the electric company is billing you and not going after this guy.

I'd guess that if the electric company had known at the time that this guy who did the damage had done the work for hire they'd be coming after him for the money and not you. I don't know if you can turn that tide now.

<font color="blue"> I'm going to have to rectify that and get out of the middle of this. </font>

YEP!

/ Electric Pole transformer cost
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you were right there and said nothing you could have hurt your position in this .... I don't know if you can turn that tide now.
)</font>

There is "right there" and "right there" I guess. :) I was in the area, but he made sure to talk to the power people first. In hindsight, I should have spoken up then, but it was a bit of a chaotic time. :-(

I think I'm going to let the tree guy know that I'm "turning" him in, for want of a better term. I got a voice mail from the power company rep. He is out today, but will speak to me at 8:00 tomorrow.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Neil.