Electrolytic Rust Removal

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #31  
I've done this a few times myself, I've used the welder for a big ole jack screw I got for next to nothing at an auction that was rusted up and a 3 point top link that was rusted together. the bat charger worked pretty good but took a while the welder was a couple hours and yes water got hot and the jack screw got clean! I used the arm&hammer washing soda not bi-carbonate used "sodium carbonate." It was done vertically in a 6" PVC pipe stood it up and sealed the end. I used some wire mesh 2" that I rolled up and slid into the 6" PVC it sprang out against the inside edge of the PVC the jack-screw was suspended from a heavy wire.

Sorry no pics results were good, now I have a sandblaster and big compressor so the little things are easier & quicker & probably less energy using sand. the electrolytic ver is great to have for items that are more fragile than sandblaster can do thou...

Mark m

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal
Here's my update. I fabricated a nice electrode to put in the middle of the kettle. See the first picture. I suspended that plate in the middle of the kettle and connected the center anode together with the anode on the side of the bucket using a copper wire. I left this for a day (~12 hrs). There was lots of bubbling and a lot of scum on the top of the water. The second picture shows the results. The outside was pretty much clean this morning, but it improved slightly over the day. The inside has improved, but I'm going to leave it for a few more days.

If I were in a hurry I'd probably pull the kettle out tonight, season it, and use it just like it is. I have plenty of time, though, and I'm curious to see just how much I can do with this technique. One thing I've noticed is that there are a few spots of built up hard water scale on the inside of the kettle. The hard water scale doesn't seem to be as affected by the electrolysis.

Questions: What is the proper ratio of washing soda to water? How do I know if I have enough? Would more washing soda make a better result? What happens if I have too much? For reference I used 1/2 cup for about 4 gallons of water.

Attachments

• IMG_0018[1].jpg
    IMG_0018[1].jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0017[1].jpg
    IMG_0017[1].jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 415
   / Electrolytic Rust Removal #33  
Hey IPlayFarmer:

Looking pretty good, I think your solution might be a little light on the washing soda I usually run mine about a heavy cup in a 5 gallon bucket with water down a bit from the top w parts in it. Also you dont have to keep electrode all way around outside if it is clean already put it back in add some more soda and use the center electrode only.

the electrolysis wont affect the lime/scale, perhaps tossing in some CLR or Lime-a-way prior to re-treating it in the bucket that should knock off the lime/scale and help get to the rust faster. Other would be use some Muratic Acid (not straight) to knocks off the lime/scale first...

GL Mark

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #34  
more soda makes for more conductance. won't hurt.. may not be needed if you can already go to max scale on your charger.

after cooking nother day.. use clr on her.

after that I'd boil her in a stock potwith regualr soapy water for quite a while..

more soda makes for more conductance. won't hurt.. may not be needed if you can already go to max scale on your charger.

after cooking nother day.. use clr on her.

after that I'd boil her in a stock potwith regualr soapy water for quite a while..

I was trained in the old school of cast iron care where soap is strictly forbidden. The legend is that soap will get into the pores of the metal and flavor your food. Will the soap flavor not come through in the water? I expect to use this kettle to boil water for hot chocolate, etc.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #36  
most soaps are bases.. just like that stuff you are cooking her in right now!

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #37  
We use steel wool if its stuck on and then reoil.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #38  
Only soap mom ever used in her's were Lard Based homemade Lye soap. I use DAWN to degrease mine and rinse well then spray in some PAM if I dont have some bacon grease handy. Usually only done when something has stuck (not very often but sausage crumbling to make gravy does stick.) Surface gets bits of sausage burned to it as I like to brown mine well prior to making gravy in the pan.

Best seasoning is half full pan of good canola oil and some chicken or pork cracklings getting cooked in it. even if you dont eat the cracklings this will pull in the grease (into the cast's pours) as pan is well heated and oil has some pressure to help it move thru towards the heat. For your pot I would get some good cleaning and soak it in HOT SOAPY water to clean out the de-rusting soaps then bake it in the oven un-treated for 20 min at 300+F empty then let it cool, get some canola and roll it all around inside and outside, re-bake it for a bit and spray inside with Canola spray & bake again...

MM

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #39  
yep.. deffinately what I would do.. get all the contaminantes out.. then bake and treat.

i wouldn't want to taste electrolysis leavings in my first glass of tea.. :)

Based on the recommendations here, I washed out the kettle and seasoned it. I did three very light coatings of oil followed by an hour in a 350 degree oven after each coat. I let the kettle cool between coats.

I also started the second kettle in the electrolysis. This second kettle is in much better shape, and I look forward to even better results. I'll likely leave this second kettle in until Saturday. I won't have time to do much with it between now and then other than scrape off the electrodes and maybe wipe the residue off the kettle occasionally.