Electrolytic Rust Removal

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #41  
Sound guy ya that is SOOO right those extra Electrons just fly right thru ya ;) :D Not to mention your Nucleolus gets bigger in the middle as they gave off some calories ahahah

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #42  
eh? ?

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal
Sound guy ya that is SOOO right those extra Electrons just fly right thru ya ;) :D Not to mention your Nucleolus gets bigger in the middle as they gave off some calories ahahah

I think Spiker was referring to this comment...
...i wouldn't want to taste electrolysis leavings in my first glass of tea.. :)

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #44  
my comment was to mean to thouroughly clean the kettle after removing from the vat. depending on what was used for anodes, you can get some pretty nast stuff in that water...

my comment was to mean to thouroughly clean the kettle after removing from the vat. depending on what was used for anodes, you can get some pretty nast stuff in that water...

Point taken. I hope that the thorough scrubbing and rinsing to remove the last bits of corrosion removed any last residue. I think that anything left would have been trapped under the three layers of seasoning.

Even still... this kettle was old enough and in poor enough shape that I'll likely let it just humidify the air for a few times before I go drinking the water.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #46  
only reason I mention it is you plan on using it for potable use.

In my electro vats I use whatever scrap i can for anodes. that means sometimes zinc plated parts and chrome plated parts, as well as other types of coatings get used.. including stainless. as the anode is consumed.. the mix builds up some prettyy unsavory stuff.

All my electro stuff is usually parts or sheet metal.. so I could care less .. it gets painted.. not drank out of.

thus the extra caution I urged.

the soloution to polloution is diloution.

once it's truly clean and has been heated enough so that any VOC's are flashed.. and what not.. I'm sure it will be fine.

Update:

I took kettle #2 out of the solution last night and washed the black stuff off of it. The fizzing from my electrodes had slowed significantly, so I scrubbed the kettle, wire brushed the electrodes, and changed the water. When I put it all back together it fizzed agressively. Where this pot is the one I think I'm going to use (It's in much better shape), I may let it soak in vinegar or some other acid in order to get the hard water deposits out of it before I season it.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #48  
i'd use clr.. it will eat any leftover rust too..

Here's the final result of the second kettle. I put the handle in the electrolysis solution, too, after I had treated the kettle. I also took Soundguy's advice and used CLR to remove the hard water from the inside of the kettle before I seasoned it.

Attachments

• IMG_0020[1].jpg
    IMG_0020[1].jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 202
   / Electrolytic Rust Removal #50  
i have a buddy that heats with a wood stove and he leaves a kettle similar to that on the top for humidity.. lookin good!