ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg)

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
I follow some mechanical news, but hadn't seen this before:

Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

Has anybody driven one ?

If they can hold onto anything like the price they are talking about, this is going to sell well.

Obviously it won't pull a tri-axle trailer, but if you have a lift gate on the one ton, why not just haul a spare vehicle instead of a spare tire ?
:p

Rgds, D.

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #2  
Neat vehicle. Awesome mileage. Nice to see a Made in USA product now that Aptera is no more.

Im liking the VW XL1. Considerably more expensive however.

2014-volkswagen-xl1-fd.jpg

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #3  
I like it....would like to have one...... I read an article that said at least 80 percent of cars on the roads have only one person in it, take a look around you when on the road. I CAN believe that . Why not having something smaller to go get the milk and bread at the store.

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #4  
Looks like a 3-wheeler. In some states, I believe that requires a motorcycle endorsement on your license. even if it is nothing like a motorcycle. You may have to wear a helmet, too.

Bruce

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg)
This Elio is much like an enclosed BRP Canam Spyder, with heat and air, for something like 30% of the price.

Not knocking the Sypder (definitely a faster ride), but this format is much more useful, more of the time - including Winter.

Based on Canadian surveys (Tim Hortons drive-thru lineups), I'd say that 80% single person loading is a realistic #.

I hope this product does well in the market.

Rgds, D.

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #6  
Reminds me of a few two passenger, three-wheel Messerschmidt "cars" which used to run around Seattle in the 1960s. They were made by (Bf-109) Messerschmidt in Germany and had a canopy that opened across.

There were three-wheel Izettas in Seattle too, but not so cool.

Looks like a 3-wheeler. In some states, I believe that requires a motorcycle endorsement on your license. even if it is nothing like a motorcycle. You may have to wear a helmet, too.

Bruce

I'd certainly check out the local licensing requirements before buying one.

That said, a domestic manufactur can often get special considerations. The Spyder has relatively relaxed licensing requirements here (Ontario, Canada), as they are easier to learn/ride safely than a 2 wheeler, and the Canadian gubmints want to support Bombardier.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any States that have manufacturing ties to Elio make the licensing requirements pretty lenient.

Looking at the pics, I'm almost thinking that you could get two Elios into one parking spot, back to back. :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ ELIO - has anybody driven one ? (84mpg) #8  
Would this be "Parking au Pair?"

Would this be "Parking au Pair?"

Probably would get you at least one parking ticket though !

The format of the design is pretty old. What may be bringing it back to life is higher demand for low cost, ultra fuel efficient transport. Some young people who have chosen to stay out of owning a car, might think twice about this one.

Rgds, D.