Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck
Hey, it's the thought that counts.

Actually my neighbor has a tractor too, but it's smaller than mine. He's offered to help get me out, but that be pretty hillarious to get him stuck too.

I'm going to try the bucket method this weekend. The BB isn't digging in so I'll attempt that method with it on there. Besides, I don't think I could get it off anyway. That thing is monstrously heavy. I can barely rock it back and forth and I'm not a small man by any stretch.

And if none of this works, I've been looking for a reason to buy a winch.

I sunk a bunch of money into TTM a couple weeks back around 17.80, sold out at 21, then bought back in the 19s. I may be able to get that winch... and it'd be a shame to buy a winch without an ATV attached to it, right? Shhh... don't tell the boss.

Funny story though. We had this family over for lunch last Sunday. They are farmers w/ 11 kids. I was busy in the kitchen preparing the meal when they arrived (I love to cook). His wife joked about how he could be more helpful in the kitchen like me. He motioned to the tractor, unmistakably stuck up to its front axles in mud and said, "I may not be good in the kitchen, but I'd never end up w/ my tractor looking like that."

And that's just one of the many laughs had at my expense.

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #12  
First f all, let me tell you that you are a brave man showing these pictures. The first thing I do when I get stuck is to look over my shoulder to see if it is anybody there. (It usually is) I think most of the TBN folks would like to be there and try to get the tractor out.
I even think this could be an business idea, people will pay to get some action. "Try to get the tractor out, one hour, 100 dollar." Keep on taking pictures, I really look forward to see this story to the end! Calling the tow company is regarded as cowardly, dont give in!, there is a victory ahead!

If you put a 10 feet pole across behind the rear wheels, attach it to both wheels and then slowly back up, you will be able to lift the wheels out, this is a dangerous operation, only to be done in reverse, and the posssibility to harm yourself and the tractor is big. Be careful, and ceep taking pics.

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck
Oh there will be many pics. I'll use the DSLR for the next pics so they come out better too.

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #14  
I seem to get mine stuck with the bushhog on the back. First time had to get my neighbor and his JD to pull me out as my wife couldn't with the Jeep. Several other times I've used the bucket curl method with success, both forward and reverse. The last 2 times, my wife rescued me with the jeep, although at one point we were all having extreme pucker factor as the tractor was causing the jeep to slide sideways down hill. I've only thought to get pics AFTER I was out, so thanks for sharing yours. Looking forward to reading how you get unstuck.

David

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #15  
One thing that has worked for me in the past was to let some air out of the tires to get a larger footprint and a little more floatation effect. make your self as light as you can by removing the BB.

One last idea that might be worth a try. Some may disagree with this but might be something to consider. Wheel speed, specifically enough to sling the mud from the cleats/tread, is what you need to make any progress in mud. Try keeping it in the highest gear you can without boggin the motor, and let her fly. Fast spinning cleated tires aired down combined with the pushing with the front bucket should get you out provided you are not hung up on anything.

Also if you can, dump some sand in the ruts. Soaks up the water, but gives some grip even to clay.

Good luck

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #16  
Something even biggger than sand might be better. Some 3/4" minus rock might help a lot.

Of course, getting it out there without the tractor might not be a lot of fun.

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #17  
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the thread...

CurlyDave, anyone ever told you that you look like Kelsey Grammer ("Frasier")?

5182.jpg

25100.jpg

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #18  
You had company with 11 children! Put a rope on the front of that tractor and invite them back! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Long cable and comealong should work just fine. If anchoring is a problenm put in a deadman.

Uhh -- your not the first and will not be the last in such a position.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #19  
Funny you should mention stuck in the mud. Posted the same problem in owning operating forum. I should have taken pictures of my tractor in the mud a swell. I used the bucket to push off the front tires and shove boards and some nearby bricks under mine, also used another board to scrape as much wet clay off of the R4 racing slicks i had on. Have to say, I was not quite as deep in the clay/mud as you. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #20  
When I was in a similar predicament and attempting to 'walk' it back out with the FEL, I found removing the 3PH implement weight helped get the rear wheels back up on terra firma a lot quicker. Just set the blade down on an old 4x8 sheet of plywood and unhook it, attach a long tow strap and skid it out of the way. It'll make getting to the drawbar easier too if that come along is necessary.