Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck
Okay, I tried the FEL tuck and push routine. I ended up w/ a nice bucket full of clay, but I sure didn't go anywhere. I took a bunch of pics. If you'd like to see them bigger, the gallery is here.

Here're a couple pictures of the tractor in it's current state.

small.jpg

small.jpg

Some pics that illustrate why the bucket move didn't work out too well.

small.jpg

small.jpg

small.jpg

My ruts. I'm so proud...

small.jpg

small.jpg

I tried putting cement blocks (thin) under the back tires to give them something to grab. Didn't work.

small.jpg

small.jpg

This gives you an idea how long swampy it is. That's what the cement block did when I dropped it.

small.jpg

So, I'm at least 100 feet away from anything I could latch onto. Getting a truck out there is problematic at best. I'm not sure I could get the BB off. It's a monster. I could get it off, but I doubt I could move it out of the way. I fear taking a truck out there would just give me one more lawn ornament.

Now that you have a little better idea what I'm up against, any suggestions?

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #32  
WOW.

Well, if you don't think you can get the BB off and moved, I think you will need to somehow put some skids under it so it slides. If it catches dirt, it will only hinder the extraction. A 4x8 sheet of plywood, with a 4x4 screwed to the plywood (30-40 screws--10 bolts would be better) and then tip the rear of the plywood up. Not sure how to hold it in place, but it would need to be attached to the BB to hold the rear up.

Then armed with 100+ft of the new steel cable you go buy (not less than 3/8") and all the chain you can muster and a comealong or winch, hooked to your tree, put someone on the tractor to gently apply rear pressure as you winch.

Take a lunch as it will take awhile I think.

Hope some of this helps. Pls let us know how you get out.

Ron

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #33  
Ok atleast you tried, but I think you need to move some of that mud out from behind the front right wheel it has no room to move, all the remaining wheels look to be ok. Did you just turn your bucket in the ground or did you really lower it far enough down into the ground to raise the tractor. If not your going to have to raise the tractor front wheels some if you expect to move that tractor.

Regardless of that I'm impressed with the suggestions that were offered. I really thought the one with the 2 chains connected to the tire sounded in theory pretty good, how bout that one.......

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #34  
I don't even have my tractor yet and I feel your pain. The only thing I can think of is that country song with the refrain: "Jesus take the wheel".

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #35  
Hey Frank29--------- That singers name is Carrie Underwood, last years American Idols Winner and one Fine Country Looking Girl........Thought you should atleast know her name, its a great song...

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #36  
I think you really have to get the box blade off the back of your tractor before you get bogged down so far you can't lift it enough to detach it.

Take your pickup down to the local wrecking yard and get a big car hood, maybe even the hood from a pickup truck.

If you turn this upside down, it makes a nice sled. Use some fender washers and eye bolts to give yourself two places to grab it. Despite the fact that you can't horse the BB around manually, you can put the hood under it, drop it on the hood and then pull it out of there.

I was just looking at chain, and 100' of 3/8" proofcoil chain will set you back just under $300, and will be quite useful in the future. Between this, the car/truck hood converted to a sled, and your pickup, you should be able to get the box blade dragged out of the way. Set it up with a short length of chain and a removable link to get a "Y" configuration to pull on both sides of the sled at the same time. You will need an additional 10' or so of chain for this to work properly.

Note: you never have to manually move the BB an inch using this technique, and once you have your tractor free, you can just drive over & pick it up again.

Now put a 4' x 8' piece of plywood under your FEL bucket, hook the chain to the rear of the tractor and slowly pull on it with the pickup while using the bucket to crawfish the tractor backwards. You may have to repeat this a few times to get out.

If this doesn't get you out, and you really want to do this yourself, go out there with a second piece of plywood and a shovel. Dig out enough mud to get the second piece of plywood under the back wheels, so you really have something to grab on to and then try again.

Any way you look at it, you will have some nice ruts to repair in the late spring.

I'll have to look into this chain you speak of. Recomend getting this at Lowes or what?

I do have a 4x8 piece of 3/8 in plywood here. I was planning on using it for a workbench for the paintball shed, but I suppose I can free that up.

The only issue is that it's the back end of the tractor that faces my driveway, but it's at least a hundred feet away.

I may look into that chain/paddle idea w/ the back tires. But I'm not sure I really understand that. Guess I'll be re-reading it.

Calling in the tow truck is something I'm not sure I could handle. I'd rather buy a tool that I can re-use in case I'm ever this stupid again.

That's it, I'll tell my wife it's stupidity insurance. She may actually buy that...

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #38  
I refer to another thread on this site,"neighbnors and what to do with them". At this point i good neighbor might be the right thing.
You are really not that stock, yet. It is just too slippery to get out. Find someone in the neighborhood , or gather all the neighbors, each bringing the chains and ropes they have, connect to a tractor on dry land, and you will be out in no time! Stop trying to get out by yourself, each attemt makes you go deeper into the mud.
This is also a good way to meet the neighbors, you need them, they get an opportunity to show you how helpful they really are, a common project makes talking informal and easy. You, of corse, will be the laughing stock of the naighborhood! Is this project just a clever way to meet the neighbors, judging from the tracks leading to where you are stuck now, it must be!

Good idea. I do have a fridge full of Corona...

/ Embarrassing project: getting tractor unstuck #40  
Plant some flowers in the bucket! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cable, snatch block and a come along.

To lift the front end place several 4x4x8 lengthways under the bucket.

If possible find some spruce or pine branches to place under the wheels for support.

Do not even consider using the truck! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's frustrating being stuck. All the advice can be even more frustrating.

Time and patience will do wonders.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif