Engine - air compressor conversion?

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #21  
The weak spring is only on the exhaust and the conversions I've seen were Model A and Chrysler flathead 6 so they weren't terribly high speed engines. I suppose if you had a high enough reving one, it could be a problem but as you mentioned, they run at about 2400.
I remember I had a 283 Chevy in a Jaguar XK120 roadster and had to go over 6000 before it started breaking down, which we attributed to valve float, but never new for sure that's what it was and didn't want to push it any further to find out the hard way. Of course a weak spring would aggravate the problem.

The weak spring is always on the intake of a hit-and-miss engine and the discahrge valve is controlled by the governor and eccentric, and these engines only run a few hundred rpm. The two way concentric valve used on a high speed (1800 - 2400 rpm) compressor is quite sophisticated. Total lift may only be 2.5 mm and typically contains one seal ring, 6 lentoid springs, and 1 backing ring. Philip.

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #22  
I love this idea. You sound like you've done this before! What do you use for the two plates?
Nope never have, but I've seen valves like this before. can't remember where though.

I think you could make them on a lathe with 1/4" low carbon steel. You'll only be dealing with a couple hundred PSI, tops. A small lathe could easily turn them to match the head valves you removed.

The center hole for the threaded rod is the only one that needs to be centered, the others are not critical, as long as they are covered by the movable plate.

The movable plate should be some thing spring steel. Spring steel is less likely to warp, thus keeping a tight seal on the holes.

I love this thread, it makes me think it might be a cool project to take a 4 cyl engine and turn it into a 2 cylinder generator/compressor to pull behind the tractor when needed.

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #23  
There used to be a company in Longview Texas that converted V6 and V8 engines for half and half use, Ford made a small one, 4 cyl I beleive and continental made a 4 cyl inline,I have one of these but it is not operational at this time. I built one from a VW engine years ago and about 2 months after I put it on the shelf Dunn Wright I think that is the name of the company that offers the conversion kit through mail order posted an add in Hot VW's and Dune Buggies. I had the idea 2 years before they did but didn't have the cash to really persue it the way I wanted to. One main thing to remember is you have to have big enough outlet valves or multiple valves to handle the heat generated by the air compressor. If not then you will be running along just fine and all of a sudden the disc valve will shatter on one of the cylinders. The VW engine will self govern it's speed at 1600/1700 rpms and it puts out a lot of air. If Dunn Wright is still offering these conversion kits it might be the easiest and cheapest way to go. I had an engineer tell me it couldn't be done because of the heat it generated, I don't put much stock in what some engineers think although just like anything else there are good ones and there are some over educated idiots out there. I'm one of the uneducated variety. If there is a problem with something there is usually a way to overcome it. Good luck with your project. P.S. If you can access The Farm Show magazine archives, they ran an article of someone who did a 350 and powered it from a pto.

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #24  
I've seen "L" head engines converted to an air compressor where the valve springs were replaced with a very weak spring and the cam followers were removed. When the piston moved down it sucked in air through the valves (weak spring allowed this). When the piston moved toward the top, the valves sealed closed and the air was expelled through the spark plug hole. Of course, on an overhead valve engine, the weak valve springs would allow the valves to collide with the piston.

Last edited:
   / Engine - air compressor conversion? #25  
I've always thought of powering one engine from a second unit because I could never figure out how to stop the intake valves from pulling in an air/gas mixture without a special intake manifold. Might be simple to do on a slant six though.....

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #26  
zmoz:

I don't think the Chevy 350 will work without some extensive modifications.

Firing order on that engine is probably 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 which means it fires on the same side of the engine on consecutive firings.

The reason the Ford 302 worked so well was because it fired on one side, then the other throughout the revolution of the engine. You could block off all the cylinders on one side and it would still run smooth since you took out every other firing.

I hope this makes sense. It's a lot easier for me to see it in my head than to actually put it into words.
Put a heavy flywheel on it.:)

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #28  
The reason the Ford 302 worked so well was because it fired on one side, then the other throughout the revolution of the engine. You could block off all the cylinders on one side and it would still run smooth since you took out every other firing.
QUOTE]

The 302 had two different firing orders throughout the years. Which one worked best? Compressors were also made from the 460, which has 2 cylinders on one bank fire simutaniously, it worked just fine. Philip.

/ Engine - air compressor conversion? #29  
I've always thought of powering one engine from a second unit because I could never figure out how to stop the intake valves from pulling in an air/gas mixture without a special intake manifold. Might be simple to do on a slant six though.....
Here are photos of the slant 6 manifolds. As you can see, each cylinder has an individual intake and exhaust tube. This is the exact reason I have one in inventory awaiting conversion. It should be quite easy to cut and block the manifolds, and build a new intake with filter, for the 2 compressor cylinders. Because the exhausts are also individual, they could also be cut and plumbed back into the air holding tank so you wouldn't have to use weak springs, thereby no possibility of valve float, which I don't think would be a problem anyway at normal engine speeds.

Attachments

• slnt 6 intake.jpg
    slnt 6 intake.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 145
  • slant 6 exh.jpg
    slant 6 exh.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 166
   / Engine - air compressor conversion?
I think I'm going to see if I can have a custom cam ground for the 350, with an extra lobe 180* apart from the normal ones on the pumping cylinders like with the VW kit. I don't think it would be too difficult to modify an intake so one side doesn't get fuel.