Engine Block Heaters

/ Engine Block Heaters #1  

taterpicker

Tractor
Ford Golden Jubilee, Kubota B3030hstc, John Deere SST 18,
I am wondering if electric block heaters on tractor engines during repeated warmer and colder temperature swings will cause condensation to build up in the motor.

/ Engine Block Heaters #2  
If left plugged in continuously should be less temperature swing than with out heater so less condensation concern.

/ Engine Block Heaters #3  
I can't imagine any significant condensation occurring due to intermittent block heaters use. What's getting heated is coolant anyway, and to a limited extent oil passages that may or may not have oil in them.

/ Engine Block Heaters #4  
Short run times not getting the engine nice and warm would probably cause more of a problem than using a block heater.
Using a block heater would then help getting the engine up to operating temperature quicker helping this.

/ Engine Block Heaters #5  
It's a non issue, a block heater only needs about an hour to ease starting conditions, I now have upgraded to a wifi controlled power outlet for my tractor. So when I wake up and see snow, power on 1st thing, then off to wake up, coffee breakfast and out and git sum work dun.

/ Engine Block Heaters #6  
Short run times not getting the engine nice and warm would probably cause more of a problem than using a block heater.
Using a block heater would then help getting the engine up to operating temperature quicker helping this.
^This!
I bought my old John Deere 25 years ago with a block heater already installed; I use it all the time when the temps are below 50 degrees.

/ Engine Block Heaters #7  
Yet to hear anything about it,I'd be more concern diesel tank cap see how much frost.

/ Engine Block Heaters #8  
I am wondering if electric block heaters on tractor engines during repeated warmer and colder temperature swings will cause condensation to build up in the motor.
The ambient temperature swings will cause condensation problems not the block heater. The quicker warm up with block heater use will help evaporate off any water condensation. As one poster said, short usage cycles of the engine will cause more problems.

/ Engine Block Heaters #9  
The ambient temperature swings will cause condensation problems not the block heater. The quicker warm up with block heater use will help evaporate off any water condensation. As one poster said, short usage cycles of the engine will cause more problems.

Nothing worse than not getting an engine up to temperature. When I need to move my tractor and don't have any real work to do, I go for a spin around the neighborhood. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

/ Engine Block Heaters #10  
Every time you warm an engine and allow it to cool off in the winter, there is a chance of collecting some condensation in the oil pan.

As stated, it's important to try and run it long enough to evaporate any accumulated condensation. Otherwise, you will continue to accumulate it.

On aircraft engines, the general rule is, if you are going to start it, run it at power for at least an hour. You can't always do that with a tractor in the winter. But, you should run it as much as you can, when you do.

Also, Idling doesn't count very much toward running time, if it's a diesel. That mostly cools it off.

Last edited: