Engine Block Heaters

/ Engine Block Heaters #11  
I have block heaters in all my diesel rigs. The dodge is 28 years old, still going strong. I dont think it can harm motor.

/ Engine Block Heaters #12  
Years ago I had a VW diesel Rabbit pickup. I just put a trouble light with 60W incandescent bulb in it under the oil pan a few hours before starting it. I did same with diesel tractor. Anything around it, either side to block wind (cardboard or quilt). Heat rises and it really worked well.

/ Engine Block Heaters #13  
I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

I use my block heater all winter long, can't say I've ever seen evidence of any condensation issues.

/ Engine Block Heaters #14  
I just put a trouble light with 60W incandescent bulb in it under the oil pan a few hours before starting it. I did same with diesel tractor. Anything around it, either side to block wind (cardboard or quilt). Heat rises and it really worked well.
That's what I do too, I'll throw an old blanket over the hood to help keep the heat in. No easy way to keep it in place under the pan, but inside the engine compartment does the trick. Obviously not as good as an actual block heater, but it does help on cold mornings.

I'd bought one of those magnetic heaters, then discovered that the pan was aluminum, pot metal or something else that was non-ferrous. :oops:

/ Engine Block Heaters #15  
Block heater usage is definitely a net benefit for engine health and longevity, not a detriment. Of course, only use it when you actually intend to start the engine, and try as best you can to only start the engine when you know you'll actually get it warmed up fully. Internal combustion engines are made to run at full heat soak; get em hot.

/ Engine Block Heaters #16  
My GC has always started fine, in fact easily, without a block heater. And, given the only one I can use is over $200, I'm not getting one.

Before you imagine long cranking times, and an engine chugging out billows of smoke while it tries to gain momentum, none of that happens.

Others with the same tractor have had different results.

Perhaps fuel quality is a bigger factor than imagined.

/ Engine Block Heaters #17  
If left plugged in continuously should be less temperature swing than with out heater so less condensation concern.
I would hate to see what KW useage a 200-250w heater uses 24/7 for 4-6 months of the year.

/ Engine Block Heaters #18  
I would hate to see what KW useage a 200-250w heater uses 24/7 for 4-6 months of the year.
I agree. Mine is on timer, 2 hours a day in morning, plugged in when snow is predicted. My truck heater also on timer, set 2 hours a day, 8am, m-f.

/ Engine Block Heaters #20  
My old L275 was a bear to start in warm weather. Below freezing, it wouldn't start with a heater. I used to buy them to go into the lower radiator hose never could keep them working, however.
My 3301 came with a block heater. I used it once, then the darned thing stopped working.

FINALLY I asked about it here and found out what I was doing wrong. I used to start the tractor while the heater was still plugged in, and apparently they don't like that.