Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!?

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #41  
Ethanol actually is an excellent fuel. The problems that are described above are from people putting it in engines that are not compatible with it. You don't complain that your chainsaw is ruined when you put diesel fuel or kerosene in the tank, why would you expect ethanol to do anything different?

There is one big, huge advantage to ethanol that nobody ever seems to talk about, which is that pure ethanol's octane rating is 100 for NA engines and estimated to be more like 115 for forced aspiration applications. This high octane is why just 10% of it increases the octane of gasoline 2-2.5 points and one reason why most gasoline has ethanol in it (most places do not have an ethanol mandate.) Burning E85 which has an octane right around 100 in a typical flex-fuel engine that can also run on 87 octane swill doesn't do the fuel justice. Ethanol would have a much better rep if higher blends like E30 (about 94-95 octane) or E85 became widespread enough that engines were actually designed to use that fuel.

Oh really?

1. Study Shows Ethanol Produces Worse 'Global Warming' Pollution Than Gasoline - Katie Pavlich

2. You need to look up the word 'hygroscopic' and then think about why its not a good idea to have 'what it means' in your fuel system.

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #42  
I have found no gasoline in our area that doesn't have 10% ethanol. All of my small engine owners manuals say 10% is fine and I've not had a moments problem with its use.

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #43  

If you actually believe in global warming, I have a bunch of "carbon offset credits" to sell you. Also, you should not be on a website such as this as you should be living in an environmentalist-approved giant highrise apartment building in a metropolis and not even dream of owning an evil carbon dioxide-spewing tractor at an inefficient stand-alone house in a rural area which requires evil driving of automobiles for transportation.

2. You need to look up the word 'hygroscopic' and then think about why its not a good idea to have 'what it means' in your fuel system.

That actually isn't a big issue as modern fuel distribution systems and vehicle fuel systems are sealed systems with essentially no exposure to atmospheric air until combustion. The EPA regs on evaporative emissions have mandated that for a number of years, which is why you have the little flipper door in the fuel filler neck of a gasoline vehicle. If some idiot decides to store a can of E85 with the lid off in their garage for months in a humid climate, yes, it will absorb water. But look at any fuel supplier's website and they are very clear about storing ANY fuel in a sealed container. Again, people run into problems when they don't follow instructions.

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #44  
If you actually believe in global warming, I have a bunch of "carbon offset credits" to sell you. Also, you should not be on a website such as this as you should be living in an environmentalist-approved giant highrise apartment building in a metropolis and not even dream of owning an evil carbon dioxide-spewing tractor at an inefficient stand-alone house in a rural area which requires evil driving of automobiles for transportation.

That actually isn't a big issue as modern fuel distribution systems and vehicle fuel systems are sealed systems with essentially no exposure to atmospheric air until combustion. The EPA regs on evaporative emissions have mandated that for a number of years, which is why you have the little flipper door in the fuel filler neck of a gasoline vehicle. If some idiot decides to store a can of E85 with the lid off in their garage for months in a humid climate, yes, it will absorb water. But look at any fuel supplier's website and they are very clear about storing ANY fuel in a sealed container. Again, people run into problems when they don't follow instructions.

If you are better informed that people who actually know the facts, then that's impressive!
If not, then I won't criticize your faith in what you want to believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists%27_views_on_climate_change#/media/File:Climate_science_opinion2.png

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #45  
[QUOTE="mo1;4206361"\That actually isn't a big issue as modern fuel distribution systems and vehicle fuel systems are sealed systems with essentially no exposure to atmospheric air until combustion. /QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I've always wondered about this, particularly the effects of burning/emptying 3/4 of a tank of fuel when it's really humid out and whether this introduces water into the tank/fuel when I then park vehicle in a cool garage. But like you say, it's a sealed system, so no outside air gets in. Whew! So what fills that space where the liquid fuel was?

Last edited:
   / Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #46  
It fills with anthropocentric global warming, didn't you know that?
Despite the THOUSANDS of scientists that say it isn't so, Algore has declared it, even did a dandy movie about it!
The gummint says ethanol is GOOD for us! Accept it, or be sent to Hillary's 'fun camps'. who couldn't enjoy that?
When I went to premium, I quit paying someone to drop by and replace/repair my small engine carbs, but I'm certain it was some other problem.
Do NOT read anything on this website! It is dangerous, just trying to make you aware of speed bumps that could harm your delicate psyche!

Monckton

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #47  
If you actually believe in global warming, I have a bunch of "carbon offset credits" to sell you

No I do not. I worship the One True God that controls the climate (and made it), not some gubment sponsored man made religion. I threw that link out there because I thought maybe you bowed at that alter ;)

I've not been shy expressing my thoughts on the whole Ethanol fiasco. I could go on and on about it but I wont.

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #48  
It fills with anthropocentric global warming, didn't you know that?
Despite the THOUSANDS of scientists that say it isn't so, Algore has declared it, even did a dandy movie about it!
The gummint says ethanol is GOOD for us! Accept it, or be sent to Hillary's 'fun camps'. who couldn't enjoy that?
When I went to premium, I quit paying someone to drop by and replace/repair my small engine carbs, but I'm certain it was some other problem.
Do NOT read anything on this website! It is dangerous, just trying to make you aware of speed bumps that could harm your delicate psyche!

Monckton

... yea and the big tanks at the filling station (and the tanker trucks that fill them) have bladders in them so the fuel is never exposed to the atmosphere to ensure only the highest grade fuel reaches you. If you read this far ... I'm being sarcastic in case you haven't figured it out yet!

/ Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #49  
How about this ... if Ethanol is such a great fuel, go down to your local dealer that sells ZTR's, chainsaws, string trimmers (and does engine work on all these too) and inform them how great it is. Please put the exchange on YouTube so we can all get a kick out of their reaction.

Last edited:
   / Engine Damage Caused By Ethanol Gasoline!? #50  

Alcohol free fuel is not available here for street use and my cars are mostly older and it has been a challenge with carburetors and fuel lines...