Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas #21  
Kris ! Excuse me . I make error with measurement. The Gravely crankcase is only 5.4 in. deep +.25 steel plate adaptor. total is 5.625 in. I just take measurement. the output shaft length of any motor is 3.5 in. With my system all adaptor is only or less 3 in. more lenght. Thanks OLDMECH

/ Engine ideas
kris, in your travels what is the smallest engine you have seen someone put on an L?

/ Engine ideas #24  
I did a search on the DEK diesels, I found lots of info but nowhere to purchase from. Any ideas?

/ Engine ideas
bill, check out e-bay there are several selling the yanny knock off engines

/ Engine ideas
I have been looking at them they have 4,6,and 10 hp

/ Engine ideas #27  
Js5020- The smallest is probably a 13hp Honda. All of the people who I have seen repower go for higher hp engines ( more power arrrrh). There is a guy who put on a 20hp Briggs. The smallest engine that Gravely used is a 8 hp Kohler, which there is a brand new one on e-bay right now from an equipment dealer in NY. E-bay: Item number: 190071622246.

- Kris :)

/ Engine ideas
I have a daily user Comm 12 and for most jobs, except blowing wet snow the 12 Kohler is more than necessary, and it's so tail heavy. I was thinking the only things I would be using on this converted L would be the sickle mower, a power barrow, and maybe a 30" deck on the lawn. The original engine was a 5hp Gravely, but as we know the torque that engine generated will exceed x3 any modern 5 hp. I was thinking with these limited tasks I would try smaller than 8 hp.

/ Engine ideas #30  
Js5020- I wouldn't go smaller than an 8hp. The 8 hp kohlers were not as tail heavy and better balanced than their 12 & 16 hp siblings. They were eqivalent to the Gravely engines in balance and power. A smaller engine might not be powerful enough and you would be severly limiting what you could do with that machine. - Kris :)