Engine misses at low RPM

/ Engine misses at low RPM
1) But not the cap?

2) You need to identify what the fouling is caused by, oil or gas.

3) Why? If it's running OK, you won't need hotter plugs. With a little work, you should be able to get any size plug in any heat range.

The cap also has been replaced. The engine is using Autolite 386, which is fairly hot.
The next heat range would be 387 and 388. But I'm tempted to use a 14mm adapter with Autolite 5164. The coil is a 40KV, so it should be able work with a modern plug. This is not going to break the bank as bad as a new carb.

Thanks guys, keep it coming. I am all ears.

Thanks Jerry. I'am going to take this advice very, very seriously.

I'm pretty much convinced that the distributor is the culprit. I can push the shaft by hand and the points contact change.
There are no auto electrical shops in my town that would work on distributors.
I have been searching for one online to no avail.
Can anybody point one, if you know.

/ Engine misses at low RPM #14  
Hi NCMau

try this site
AGCO Parts Books

if you are saying you can push the distributor shaft sideways and the points change gap, then you are probably correct in your diagnosis.
Billy

Thanks Billy. This site only deals with Explorer, which I don't have because I use the Mac. Anyway, I sent an email to my son to check it out with his PC.
I can't understand why it is so difficult to find this part, 182 852 M91. I should be pretty common Continental engine part for MF tractors.

/ Engine misses at low RPM #16  
Hi NCMau
If you cannot locate a replacement, there is always machine shops, that could rework the shaft and bushings. However that would probably cost more.
Billy