Engine oil question

/ Engine oil question #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
I am thinking of using Shell Rotella Diesel engine oil.

My Kubota manual calls for 10w-30 engine oil.

I see the Rotella T6 Diesel oil in a 5w-40.

Can I use the 5w-40 in place of the 10w-30 oil/what is the difference?

I live in CT, so I operate in all 4 seasons, including cold winters.

/ Engine oil question #2  
Personally -I- would.. but lets wait to hear other orange owners chime in.

/ Engine oil question #3  
I use T6 5w 40 in my BX. Runs great and quieter. My manual specs 10w 40 so 5w 40 will be fine and give you a little extra flow in winter.

/ Engine oil question #5  
As the engine runs the oil gets contaminates from fuel and other by products. The fuel contaminates tend to thin the oil. I would not use a lower number than the lowest recommended.
I would use a synthetic if I could afford it.

/ Engine oil question #6  
As the engine runs the oil gets contaminates from fuel and other by products. The fuel contaminates tend to thin the oil. I would not use a lower number than the lowest recommended.
I would use a synthetic if I could afford it.

your statements tend to contradict themselves a bit. ;)

don't use lower number.

use a synthetic.

Many diesels reccomend a 15w40

Most common diesel synthetics are 5w40

your statements just had a head on collision.

I'm running 5w40 syn oil in engines designed for 15w40. No issues but extra cost and performance.

/ Engine oil question #7  
Let me clarify. Basically synthetics are regular oil that have been modified at the molecular level to enhance performance. Oil viscosity rating basically rate the performance (or thickness if you will) of the oil at certain temperatures. A 10w40 could be thinned to were it becomes a 5w30. This is an over simplification but it gives you the idea.

I have run car engines without water for 15 miles with no notable engine damage using synthetics where that would have destroyed an engine using conventional oil. I have had water get into boat trailer axle bearings and contaminated the grease and caused bearing failure and I have had water get in the bearing with synthetic grease with no contamination and no failure. The syn grease did not allow the water to mix but keeps the water separate and the water boils out. You can research this. I like to use Amsoil.

/ Engine oil question #8  
I think the key to keeping boat axle trailer bearings happy are good seals and keeping the grease clean.. no matter what you use.

/ Engine oil question #9  
As I remember... the oil weight numbers mean the viscosity at temperature
example: 5w40 means the oil viscosity starts as a 5w (winter) and at operating temperature thins like 40.

Using this in place of a 10w-30 simply means the oil viscosity will be thicker at operating temperature, wasting fuel. The up side is the oil will flow better at start.

Here's a link that explains in better detail .. Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

/ Engine oil question #10  
I am thinking of using Shell Rotella Diesel engine oil.

My Kubota manual calls for 10w-30 engine oil.

I see the Rotella T6 Diesel oil in a 5w-40.

Can I use the 5w-40 in place of the 10w-30 oil/what is the difference?

I live in CT, so I operate in all 4 seasons, including cold winters.

It's always safest to use oil with the viscosity indices recommended in your owners manual. It's usually depends on the range of ambient temperatures you will encounter during use.