Engine oil question

/ Engine oil question #41  
I disagree.

There are measurable differences in pour point and flow characteristics between different grade oils.

You should be able to take a sae 30, 15w40 and 5w40 into a lab, and in a blind test, be able to show which oil is which due to pour and flow characteristics and viscosity index.

The differences are quite detectable, quantifiable, and measureable.

You are right. You don't need a lab to see those differences. And the color can be visibly different too. I don't think they have (measurable) effects on the longevity of a tractor if it's changed per the hours specified in the manual. If you are using a tractor in extreme conditions, that's a little different. Put-put-put-ing over to lift a few bags of concrete from time to time, or lawn mowing does not require special oil. I'd bias towards using the weight specified in the manual though.

/ Engine oil question #42  
How is it in the Massey?

I actually don't think I ever used Rotella in my Massey's... Currently it has Mag1 5w40 full synth, which has gotten favorable reviews from what I've read. I'll send a sample in for review though, just to see. I also used Mag1 in my PowerStroke for an interval and the truck seemed to like it more than Rotella. Still waiting for that oil analysis as well.

I should add that I've seen some other PowerStroke forum members post that their truck also didn't like Rotella. And a friend of mine, who had been using Amsoil, switched to Rotella T6 for an interval (because it was cheap) and developed injector stiction issues.

/ Engine oil question #43  
You are right. You don't need a lab to see those differences. And the color can be visibly different too. I don't think they have (measurable) effects on the longevity of a tractor if it's changed per the hours specified in the manual. If you are using a tractor in extreme conditions, that's a little different. Put-put-put-ing over to lift a few bags of concrete from time to time, or lawn mowing does not require special oil. I'd bias towards using the weight specified in the manual though.

Looking at cold startup wear, I'd opt for a multigrade vs a straight if I could only choose a single oil. Lots of better stuff available today vs the specs in the manuals written 30-50ys ago.

/ Engine oil question #44  
I actually don't think I ever used Rotella in my Massey's... Currently it has Mag1 5w40 full synth, which has gotten favorable reviews from what I've read. I'll send a sample in for review though, just to see. I also used Mag1 in my PowerStroke for an interval and the truck seemed to like it more than Rotella. Still waiting for that oil analysis as well.

I should add that I've seen some other PowerStroke forum members post that their truck also didn't like Rotella. And a friend of mine, who had been using Amsoil, switched to Rotella T6 for an interval (because it was cheap) and developed injector stiction issues.

That's interesting. My engines are a bit lower tech, so I probably wouldn't notice anything like that. I'm generally not putting hard hours on anything, but I do like the low temp advantages of synthetic, so I'm moving that way with all of them.

/ Engine oil question #45  
That's interesting. My engines are a bit lower tech, so I probably wouldn't notice anything like that. I'm generally not putting hard hours on anything, but I do like the low temp advantages of synthetic, so I'm moving that way with all of them.

Checkout the Mag1 ... Family Farm & Home carries it.