Engine oil

/ Engine oil #11  
any diesel rated oil with the viscsosity rated for your climate..try walmart, theres a million of em around.

/ Engine oil #12  
Aren't most oils the same?

Nope. Just like any other product you buy they are built for profit at a certain price. Some use cheaper ingredients so they can sell for less. How many times does the average oil change hands? The manufacture sells it to a jobber, he in turns sells it to a dealer, and they in turn sell it to a store where you buy it. 2, 3 or more businesses made a profit on the oil before you bought it on sale.

/ Engine oil #13  
I have a vechicle with a Cat 3304 in it. The dip-stick states "DO NOT OVERFILL". What happens if you do overfill the engine with oil; what damage can be done? - stoneseeds.

/ Engine oil #14  
I have a vechicle with a Cat 3304 in it. The dip-stick states "DO NOT OVERFILL". What happens if you do overfill the engine with oil; what damage can be done? - stoneseeds.

Depends on how over full you're talking about. A little probably nothing. A lot in time probably will destroy the engine. Every engine that I've ever seen has this written on the dip stick or in the owners manual. If you would like to find out what will happen. over fill yours ,run it ,and in time, let us know what happens

/ Engine oil #15  

foaming i believe...

/ Engine oil #16  
Do you have any UOA or VOA proof (that you can post) that show 1 of the oils you listed is any better/worse than the others listed

No, just lots of reading. My ex's father actually worked for Shell till 2 years ago.

Not saying its a bad oil, just saying at that price point or cheaper there are others that are better.

Chris

/ Engine oil #17  
No, just lots of reading. My ex's father actually worked for Shell till 2 years ago.

Not saying its a bad oil, just saying at that price point or cheaper there are others that are better.

Chris

I can't see how you can make a statement that the other oils that you mention is any better than the other without a UAO or VOA . You have no proof ! Do you happen to know the TBN of Virgin Rotella, Delvac,Delo, etc, ? these are the oils you listed ..Oil companies change their formulas from time to time. The 1 that has a better VOA today may not be better next week ,month, yr,etc,

/ Engine oil #18  
TBN (Total Base Number)

TBN, mg KOH/g, (ASTM D2896)

Standard/Range 7.39 to 9.66

Shella Rotella T 9.05
Mobil Delvac 1300 9.66 <------------------------------
Chevron Delo 400LE SAE 15W-40 7.39

Shell is the worlds largest oil company so it stands to reason you will find it cheaper and in more places because they can absord smaller margins in order to get more market share.

/ Engine oil #19  
I can't see how you can make a statement that the other oils that you mention is any better than the other without a UAO or VOA . You have no proof ! Do you happen to know the TBN of Virgin Rotella, Delvac,Delo, etc, ? these are the oils you listed ..Oil companies change their formulas from time to time. The 1 that has a better VOA today may not be better next week ,month, yr,etc,

True. I am just going off what a professional who has 30 plus years in the Lube Business told me. He is a trusted friend and worked for Shell.

I personally use Monil Delvac on his recommendation for both diesel trucks, tractors, and marine applications. In synthetic for diesels I use Mobil 1 5W40 diesel.

Chris

/ Engine oil #20  
True. I am just going off what a professional who has 30 plus years in the Lube Business told me. He is a trusted friend and worked for Shell.

Chris

It has been my experience that, the oil companies are always playing with their add packages. If he worked in a lab he would know this..Oil that was good for a diesel in 05 isn't necessarily good for a diesel in 2013