Engine oil

/ Engine oil #1  

eddieirvine

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3940
I have used Rotella oil in my Kubota L3940 sense i owned it, I figured sense truck drivers use it for there rigs, it is good oil. well i think it is always did a great job for me. I was in Tractor supply the other day and some other places, it seems to be not on the shelf's for whatever reason just like everything else in this world of Stupid!! I talked to a guy in the store that seems to me to know what he is talking about. He said the Traveller oil is made in the same place as Rotella 15w40 any of you use this i usually by it in 5 gal bucket, I even looked close at both here at home seems to be no difference ? I know it is hard to know by looking at an oil but i am changing it in the next couple of days. Let me know if any of you use it and your thoughts, Thanks Eddie. to add a note the
traveller oil is also marked for Diesel engines.

Last edited:
   / Engine oil #2  
as long as the oil is compliant for diesels & your model, should be ok. i'm also looking for alternatives to T6 5/40 that i use. actually, given your location, if changing oil brands, i'd be looking more at a 5/40 full syn diesel rated rather than 15/40. there have been many conversation over the viscosity differences in those grades of engine oil. good luck

/ Engine oil #3  
Saying that Product X is made in the same place (town, state?) or by the same company as Product A or Product B is a common bit of disingenuousness often employed when someone selling Product X wants to imply it as good as A or B. The same company may produce A, B, and X in the same plant but to different specifications according to what the brand wants to pay. In the case of oil, that may include the basic feed stock as well as different additives. As big bubba pointed out, go with the API service and viscosity ratings in your owner's manual or what your dealer recommends, at least for the warranty period.
I am also in favor of an oil analysis at each oil change, or as recommended by the laboratory if you are extending the change interval.

/ Engine oil #4  
Using Traveller's oil in my 3500. Made by Warren Distributor. They been around for quite some time! As long as it meets the requirements of your equipment, you should be fine. There are only so many refineries in the US. Many brands made in same places with just different additives packages added. Doing the oil changes are just as important as using correct specifications of the oil. JM2C

/ Engine oil
Saying that Product X is made in the same place (town, state?) or by the same company as Product A or Product B is a common bit of disingenuousness often employed when someone selling Product X wants to imply it as good as A or B. The same company may produce A, B, and X in the same plant but to different specifications according to what the brand wants to pay. In the case of oil, that may include the basic feed stock as well as different additives. As big bubba pointed out, go with the API service and viscosity ratings in your owner's manual or what your dealer recommends, at least for the warranty period.
I am also in favor of an oil analysis at each oil change, or as recommended by the laboratory if you are extending the change interval.
I understand what you are saying for a sale of there product but the guy i talked to is not this way, i have known him for a long time and put a lot of trust in what he tells me, not about what they sell but information both of us have shared foe quite some time

/ Engine oil #6  
I understand what you are saying for a sale of there product but the guy i talked to is not this way, i have known him for a long time and put a lot of trust in what he tells me, not about what they sell but information both of us have shared foe quite some time

Some of the Home Depots here carry Rotella T6 and others alway seem to be out. Still, it only takes a couple of stops to find whatever kind I'm looking for. So far the expected shortages haven't happened, although not everystore carries a full stock of every item like they used to do.

On oils I tend to stick to name brands from big companies. For instance Shell Oil's Rotella. I figure the know what they are doing.
I don't buy the common story you hear about filters, fuels, and lube oils all being the same but with different labels and additives.

Us mechanical guys are supposed to be pretty knowledgeable about lubes and oils, but I know I'm pretty much ignorant compared to a real petroleum engineer. That's why I stick to the name brands. I just don't know enough to compare them.
Also not sure I'd feel very comfortable taking advice about oil from a clerk in a tractor parts store. I mean.... come on now....really??
rScotty

/ Engine oil #7  
Do you have a truck stop near you? If so, you'll find a diverse selection of diesel oil. I buy my diesel, diesel treatment and engine oil from my local truck stop. So far no issues with finding synthetic Rotella.

/ Engine oil #8  
Some of the Home Depots here carry Rotella T6 and others alway seem to be out. Still, it only takes a couple of stops to find whatever kind I'm looking for. So far the expected shortages haven't happened, although not everystore carries a full stock of every item like they used to do.

On oils I tend to stick to name brands from big companies. For instance Shell Oil's Rotella. I figure the know what they are doing.
I don't buy the common story you hear about filters, fuels, and lube oils all being the same but with different labels and additives.

Us mechanical guys are supposed to be pretty knowledgeable about lubes and oils, but I know I'm pretty much ignorant compared to a real petroleum engineer. That's why I stick to the name brands. I just don't know enough to compare them.
Also not sure I'd feel very comfortable taking advice about oil from a clerk in a tractor parts store. I mean.... come on now....really??
rScotty
I haven’t seen T6 locally since last fall. In any store. I’m switching to Valvoline. Since Cummins endorses it, that’s good enough for me.

/ Engine oil #9  
Saying that Product X is made in the same place (town, state?) or by the same company as Product A or Product B is a common bit of disingenuousness often employed when someone selling Product X wants to imply it as good as A or B. T...
What Captain Dirty said.

/ Engine oil #10  
I changed from whatever Kubota sells to Rotella T6. Works fine for me.