Engine oil

/ Engine oil #11  
I changed from whatever Kubota sells to Rotella T6. Works fine for me.
But can you find any for sale? I’m going to change to Valvoline synthetic if T6 isn’t available for my next oil change.

/ Engine oil #12  
Last week I was in O'Reillys - here in Cheney, WA - buying windshield washer fluid. They had T4 and T6. I don't know about the local NAPA store. I don't use synthetic in my M6040 - a waste of money. Now my new Ram 2500 Power Wagon uses 5W40 full synthetic. I purchased the lifetime oil change option with the PW. So....oil changes are done at the dealership.

I wonder - can O'Reillys still get Rotella or do they just have a large stock pile of it.

Your owners manual will suggest oils by specs not brands. Go with that........

Last edited:
   / Engine oil
Thanks guys I will still give it some thought and looking around and decide what i am going to do

/ Engine oil #14  
I got 5 gallon containers of 0w30 ESP M1 at Advanced Auto. The two containers are enough to change the oil in both the tractor and the diesel generator. Before, I'd been getting VW diesel oil at VW dealership: 5w30 Castrol.

/ Engine oil #15  
I stopped at 6 stores to find 3 gallons of T5 for my 400 hour service. I'd have been money and time ahead to just buy the Kubota oil at the dealer since I had to go there for all the filters and trans fluid. Live and learn.

We have one auto parts store here that had "we have Rotella" on their marquee in the front of the store. They only have a couple of flavors and not what I need in the Kubota.

/ Engine oil #17  
I've always used Rotella T 6, but it's gotten hard to find around here. I grabbed the last T 5 gallon I saw, figured it was good enough being partially synthetic. Then I realized it was 15w-40, and not the 5w-40 I have been using. Any thoughts about using it? I do have 2 qts. of T 6 5w-40 I'd mix with it. I change by time and not hours, because I only run the tractor under 100 hours a year. I figure every 2 years is okay since I always warm it up when I use it, and it lives in a barn.

/ Engine oil #18  
no telling how long T6 5/40 will be generally unavailable. if you're able to return the T5 i'd do it & find another diesel compliant 5/40 full syn applicable to your model. i am in the same process, regards

/ Engine oil #19  
I've always used Rotella T 6, but it's gotten hard to find around here. I grabbed the last T 5 gallon I saw, figured it was good enough being partially synthetic. Then I realized it was 15w-40, and not the 5w-40 I have been using. Any thoughts about using it? I do have 2 qts. of T 6 5w-40 I'd mix with it. I change by time and not hours, because I only run the tractor under 100 hours a year. I figure every 2 years is okay since I always warm it up when I use it, and it lives in a barn.
If you only run it 100 hours a year the question to me becomes what's the temp when you run it?
If it's summertime I'd expect no problem, but if it's the dead of winter at 0°F I'd be concerned about it being a bit thick.

/ Engine oil #20  
Yeah, the 15w concerns me a bit, although, as I said, it lives in a barn and always starts without any drama after 5-6 seconds of glow plugs, no matter how cold, and the 40 weight is the same once warmed up. The manuals call for 10w 40 for winter temps, so that's why I am unsure. I'd hope I never have to take it out when it's only 0 degrees- which has become extremely rate around here anyway. 25-30 degrees is more typical for cold weather.