Erratic PTO rotation

/ Erratic PTO rotation #11  
Does your mower have a slip clutch?

Can you post a pic with the entire pto shaft from tractor to mower gear box in the pic? From the side, so we can see it?

I wonder if the part of the shaft the OP can see is on the mower slow down is the slip clutch itself?

/ Erratic PTO rotation
Hi All,
Im starting to feel that i may be an anxious elderly newbie.
im posting photos as requested of PTO.
Ive assumed the black part i can see connected to the mower is the PTO shaft itself. But is it a separate casing which is rotating with the PTO (as it isnt chained) and rotation is reducing with friction as everything gets warm? -and perhaps crud is accumulating between this part of the pto and the slightly larger chained cover at the tractor end which is why im now noticing this.
im sorry if my descriptions are not too technical - I used to be the ornamental garden half and now I have to do and understand everything im on a steep learning curve!
P1080995 Large e-mail view.jpgP1080992 Large e-mail view.jpgP1080996 Large e-mail view.jpg
i hope the photos come through

/ Erratic PTO rotation #13  
That you see is a tube that shall be secured with chain so it doesn't rotate, it's a safety guard.

/ Erratic PTO rotation
Thanks Agvg -
would there be any reason that the machinery dealer who sold me the new mowing deck with pto and fitted the whole assembly didnt put a chain on the mower end?
i see now that i may have been worrying about nothing... as, after all, the engine revs dont fall off and the deck keeps cutting, hopefully because the pto is working fine and ive just been confused by a non chained guard - doh..
thanks to everyone who has helped

/ Erratic PTO rotation #15  
Thanks Agvg -
would there be any reason that the machinery dealer who sold me the new mowing deck with pto and fitted the whole assembly didnt put a chain on the mower end?
i see now that i may have been worrying about nothing... as, after all, the engine revs dont fall off and the deck keeps cutting, hopefully because the pto is working fine and ive just been confused by a non chained guard - doh..
thanks to everyone who has helped

Ehh....
....many on here wonder if there's a reason PTO shafts even need guards, let alone if they need to be chained. ("Just don't get close to them!" --Especially with loose, ragged clothing, shoelaces, or hoods with drawstrings. That's how people get pulled in).
In my humble opinion (IMHO), guards are good, but chaining them? ...Ehh! Whatever...
I'm not sure what the chain actually does, besides confirming that the guard can spin (not spin) freely of the enclosed shaft.

At least you were curious about and questioned why it wasn't consistently spinning.
.....rather than burning up a slip clutch. :thumbsup: