Even the upgraded alternator.has limits

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits
It does not take much to reach the limit of a 40a alt. Your heater definitely draws a lot, that coupled with all 4 of your work light on and you may have wiped out the alt. Do you have all the lights on the same circuit, or are they split up?

Tim
SAME circuit seperately switched ,Seems funny everyone else like NY YANKEES FAN,is running all this stuff with no problem-same charging system.
Battery tested at 12 volts off,started tractor with tester still on itno change.Battery light was on.turned up throttle ,light went out no change on tester still exactly the same .Alternator should have boosted voltage up to like 14 right? All electrics were off on tractor.
Neighbor said alternator should be magnatized ,this ones not???
Im gonna disassemble the new wiring harness and go over it one more time,then its going back to the dealer.
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #42  
SAME circuit seperately switched ,Seems funny everyone else like NY YANKEES FAN,is running all this stuff with no problem-same charging system.ALAN

Alan,

Not to add to your frustration, but my battery is the original battery from March 02. I upgraded to the larger alternator in 11/04.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #43  
Alan, are you measuring the battery voltage with the gauge on the battery charger, or are you using a multimeter? Do you have the ability to do a running load test? If you don't, can you borrow an external amp load detector. (clamps around cable and measures load without removing cable)

I know this is frustrating for you, especially when trying to interpret help via the internet. Hang in there we will get it figured out with you.

Tim

Alan, are you measuring the battery voltage with the gauge on the battery charger, or are you using a multimeter? Do you have the ability to do a running load test? If you don't, can you borrow an external amp load detector. (clamps around cable and measures load without removing cable)

I know this is frustrating for you, especially when trying to interpret help via the internet. Hang in there we will get it figured out with you.

Tim

THANK YOU TIM,
Iput the KUBOTA in the heated garage and im gonna take the hood off again,I DO have a multimeter.The tester im using is a harbor freight battery and load tester,It has two battery clamps like on booster cables.It has a button you can push to test load.
ALAN

ITS ALL FUGURED OUT!!!! I called my dealer and they sent a service tech over.HE TESTED AT THE ALTERNATOR WITH THE TRACTOR OFF AND THERE WAS NOTHING.He explained there should be battpower there,that they were connected in that way.Ihelped him remove the hood and grill gaurd,so we could get at that wiring harness.Ishowed him step by step how i installed it,and he confirmed i had done it exactly right.WEpulled out the 50 amp inline fuse[the type with see thru end] did a continuity test on it and it tested fine.We reinstalled it ,and tryed to trace the wires.We started up the tractor 14 volts,wiggled the wires 12volts ,14 then 12 14 then 12 ....We checked grounds ,connections every thing eliminating each thing one by one as i told him when it would change and he searched for it.Its funny because when the alternator kicked in you could distinctly hear a different tone in the engine,you could actually just listen and tell when it was working.He traced it back to that same 50 amp fuse holder.Then suddenly he said holy cow there was a heck of a blue spark that came from that fuse.What was happening was the fuse was not blown ,but defective at the factory and had a lose connection inside it .When you had it out and tested it .continuity would run through it.When you actually pushed it in it lossed contact.When i pushed my multimeter ends way in it it would lose continuity when i just touched them on the contacts it had continuity.When you picked it up and shook it it rattled like a pvc valve.:D
Im happy its found ,but i do consider it no fault of mine,It was part of the alternator package,which was defective.1.5 hours labor at 60 per hour,if i have to pay it ,it surely was an expensive up grade:eek:
The service tech [who lives near me,is gonna try to get me a new fuse tommorow.
Ithink ill put the original battery back in it and see if its ok ,i believe it was.
Iwant to thank all of you who tryed to help me diagnose it.
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #46  
Wonderful Alan. An erratic problem is always hard to find. In 50 years of trouble shooting I have never seen an erratic fuse. So this is pretty rare.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #47  
Read somewhwre that there was many problems with fuses made in China.

Mostly, however due to improper rating, but would stand to reason that other types of problems (like yours) could occur.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #48  
Please keep us posted on what happens with the service charge, since it was a defective part. I guess they have the right to say 'here's the free fuse, here's the service call bill', but how about good will and customer relations? Just curious as to which Kubota dealer you use - the dealer to the west of Portland, in Gorham, has been top-notch in our experiance.
It'll be interesting to find out if the battery turns out to be still good or not. Nothing much more frustrating than dealing with an intermittant electrical problem, especially in a new part!

Please keep us posted on what happens with the service charge, since it was a defective part. I guess they have the right to say 'here's the free fuse, here's the service call bill', but how about good will and customer relations? Just curious as to which Kubota dealer you use - the dealer to the west of Portland, in Gorham, has been top-notch in our experiance.
It'll be interesting to find out if the battery turns out to be still good or not. Nothing much more frustrating than dealing with an intermittant electrical problem, especially in a new part!

GOOD MORNING GUYS,
Italked to the head of the parts dept yesterday ,he was very friendly as usual.Itold him i was not being a cheap skate,but was wondering if they could bill the service call to KUBOTA somehow,since it was no fault of mine. He agreed and is gonna have somebody see about it.He apoligized for the trouble i had,and explained he never saw it before either.It aint like i didnt check the fuse ,it would test fine each time.The dealer has been top notch so far in my book and it aint reallt there fault either if you know what i mean.Im confident ,whether KUBOTA will help out or not[im sure thay will do something]My dealer and Ican work somethung out in good faith.Iwill disclose their name only if it turns out good,no need to bash them.
Im thinking of buying a 4 ft rototiller in the spring ,if this issue is resolved satisfactory, guess whos gonna get the sale?
Iput my original battery in.A friend said its probably still ok ,where i trickle charged it each time,we will see.
Igotta go now ,gotta run over to the service guys house near by and get my fuse.One thing about the dealer ,they have a good service dept,with quality people .The one who diagnosed my tractor,has also rebuilt engines for my car in my own garage.Iwas happy to see him join the dealership.
ALAN
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #50  
What a truly unique, weird problem:eek: Almost impossible to find! Understand your legitimate frustration..hope it all works out good for you from here on out.