Everlast welders, anybody own one?

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #51  
blacksmith1 said:
Mark

Is there a rule of thumb for calculating the service draw for a given output?

Power in equals power out minus efficintey losses.

So if your arc welder is putting out 100 amps at 25 volts that makes 2500 watts of power. At 220 volts input that would be a 11.36 amp draw, if 100% efficient . Add 15% if the welder is 85% efficient, to get 13.064 amps draw.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #52  
Mark

If I want a 100 AMPs (AC or DC) at the business end, what am I drawing on the input side?

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #53  
Power in equals power out minus efficintey losses.

So if your arc welder is putting out 100 amps at 25 volts that makes 2500 watts of power. At 220 volts input that would be a 11.36 amp draw, if 100% efficient . Add 15% if the welder is 85% efficient, to get 13.064 amps draw.

Dan - thanks - we posted at exactly the same time.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #54  
Yes,
Dan, correct, but don't forget about inrush current demand...that is the killer. Most inverters operate on way less current than what it requires to start the arc. And voltage varies with arc length. Incorporate arc force control and it doesn't boil down so simply.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #55  
Yes,
Dan, correct, but don't forget about inrush current demand...that is the killer. Most inverters operate on way less current than what it requires to start the arc. And voltage varies with arc length. Incorporate arc force control and it doesn't boil down so simply.

Mark

Any studies on this on the web?

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #56  
Mark @ Everlast said:
Yes,
You're right of course. It's hard to explain when you consider all the details, so I just wanted to give the basic outline.

For the inrush current, most circuit breakers won't trip with a brief overload, like when an electric motor starts. But there are breakers that have faster or slower time factor. If I were to have a breaker tripping that shouldn't be, I would see if it was fast trip breaker.
And sometimes as a breaker ages it will become more sensitive it inrush current.

As for the arc length variations changing the output voltage, shorter arc = lower voltage. But then you have to consider the dig force. Some inverters will try to keep the same current no matter what. Others will let the current drop with longer arc length, and let the current rise with shorter arc length. This results in less variation of power output.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #57  
I found this 180 AMP Tig spec on a manufactures website; look promising.

Screenshot at 2012-10-21 09:11:12.png

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #58  
That's not listing the I1max...just the operating amps. Our units perform similarly on TIG...but with a MUCH higher duty cycle. That looks like a Miller Diversion spec for duty cycle its so low.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #59  
I was looking about trying to figure out what my gauge wire should be for a 220vac with a 50AMP breaker and found this site:

Voltage Drop Calculator

Now I need to spec out what I have to the garage and from the garage breaker box to the outlet.

/ Everlast welders, anybody own one? #60  
That's not listing the I1max...just the operating amps. Our units perform similarly on TIG...but with a MUCH higher duty cycle. That looks like a Miller Diversion spec for duty cycle its so low.

Do you have those inrush specs for your product line?