externally regulated alternator question

/ externally regulated alternator question #31  
An oil pressure gauge needle sitting at zero won't catch your eye like a red light.
What's not "good" about your current temp gauge?

In either case, by the time one sees a light or needle at zero there is usually toast where the engine used to be. Granted, not always, but having both a light AND a gauge is what I personally prefer.

/ externally regulated alternator question #32  
a real gauge.. not a buffered dummy gauge like most auto's have today though...

/ externally regulated alternator question #33  
In either case, by the time one sees a light or needle at zero there is usually toast where the engine used to be. Granted, not always, but having both a light AND a gauge is what I personally prefer.

I've had a low oil pressure indicator lamp save me two engines over the years during catastrophic oil loss events. You won't ever see me complain about "idiot lights".

Whether an engine carries 38 or 47 PSI of oil pressure doesn't matter to me a single bit. Your mileage may vary.

/ externally regulated alternator question
I've had a low oil pressure indicator lamp save me two engines over the years during catastrophic oil loss events. You won't ever see me complain about "idiot lights".

Whether an engine carries 38 or 47 PSI of oil pressure doesn't matter to me a single bit. Your mileage may vary.
i think both is best. its nice to monitor oil pressure in case it starts trending down (bearings going out), but for oil loss all at once, need a light or buzzer!

/ externally regulated alternator question #35  
i think both is best. its nice to monitor oil pressure in case it starts trending down (bearings going out), but for oil loss all at once, need a light or buzzer!

Exactly why both is the way to go. With a gauge one knows what normal looks like; without one the engine failure light is too much of a replace everything now warning.

/ externally regulated alternator question #36  
if i had a diagram of how it was supposed to be, i would be set. Not the easiest thing to come by, particularly when I am not even 100% sure of what tractor I have.

This is what I used motorola alt 001.jpg

The key switch applies 12 volts to the yellow regulator wire in the on position
The charge light wire terminates on the alternator 9 oclock position in your picture with the red or orange from the regulator
The green field wire from the regulator terminates on the brush connector on the alternator (12 oclock in your picture)

this might get the system up and working