F150 or F250 to pull trailer???

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #11  
I do not have a clue what Ford is offering these days but check to see if you can get a heavy duty 1/2 ton. If not that a suspension or towing upgrade. You may be able to get the best of both worlds

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #12  
Assuming 25% tongue weight on the trailer, you are going to be just barely at or under both the payload and tow ratings for the HD 150s. You're going to be over the ratings for the standard 150s. Personally, I'd want a little more safety margin than that, and would step up to the 250. Can you guarantee yourself that you're not going to accidentally load the trailer a little too far towards the front? I like to have maybe 25% or more safety margin in my specs, just to know that I'm covered when things don't turn out like I expected. The 250 may also allow you to get at bed and cab options that you will be locked out of in the 150 line, because they lower tow capacity or payload too much.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #13  
For under or around 10K the F150 Eco 3.73 gears would be my choice.

Drive one and you will be impressed.

Chris

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer???
since the op lives in wny same as me, I would go with the 250 that is what I have. If the cops in the wny area even think you are overloaded you are going to get pulled and the dot show's up with the scales. ask me how I know i got pulled for having a ton of pellets in the bed, and the cop didn't care that i had the truck weighted for 13,000 still got the dot.

No doubt. When I used to hall sawdust once in a while I would get stopped. Maybe 3000-4000 lbs of sawdust on a 10,000 trailer. Fines aren't cheap either......... I figure do it right.....

Last edited:
   / F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #15  
I have a 2012 F-150 with eco boost and a 2013 F-150 with a regular 6 cyl. The eco boost does fine with a gross trailer load of 9,000 lbs. The regular 6 cyl, not so much.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #16  
I agree with joshuabardwell, far better to have a little extra than not quite enough. Ecoboost or not the F150, while still a nice truck, is still not built as solid and heavy as the 3/4 and 1 tons.
I now have a 3/4 ton and I tow around 10K with it and it is leaps and bounds more stable and "planted" than my 1/2 ton (07 long bed Tundra with 5.7, that was rated for roughly 11k)

Assuming 25% tongue weight on the trailer, you are going to be just barely at or under both the payload and tow ratings for the HD 150s. You're going to be over the ratings for the standard 150s. Personally, I'd want a little more safety margin than that, and would step up to the 250. Can you guarantee yourself that you're not going to accidentally load the trailer a little too far towards the front? I like to have maybe 25% or more safety margin in my specs, just to know that I'm covered when things don't turn out like I expected. The 250 may also allow you to get at bed and cab options that you will be locked out of in the 150 line, because they lower tow capacity or payload too much.

What's some real world fuel milage numbers of a 3/4 ton gasser, like F250 or Chevy? I drive about 50/50 highway around town....... My 1500 gets an easy 17 MPG average.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #18  
Real world is 12mpg unloaded from the guys I know with gas 3/4 tons of all brands.

Chris

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #19  
My 2012 2500HD gasser gets 15 mpg, mostly highway, unloaded and driven easily but keeping up with traffic. Towing is 9-10 mpg with a 8k pound load.

I love the truck, but I'll be getting a commuter car soon, for the gas mileage and to try and keep the miles off. I've had to travel a lot this year and accrued 38,000 miles in a little over a year.

My 2012 2500HD gasser gets 15 mpg, mostly highway, unloaded and driven easily but keeping up with traffic. Towing is 9-10 mpg with a 8k pound load.

I love the truck, but I'll be getting a commuter car soon, for the gas mileage and to try and keep the miles off. I've had to travel a lot this year and accrued 38,000 miles in a little over a year.

3.73 or 4.10 gears? I was talking to a guy who "claims" he put larger exhaust and a different air filter on, and gets 19 MPG highway...... I was thinking good thing I had boots on. My 1/2 ton gets that, going with the wind, empty........

How's the stability of the truck towing?