Fair Price

/ Fair Price #11  
$19,995 with a Backhoe + implements is not bad, IF IN GOOD CONDITION.

Backhoes on subcompact tractors are pretty worthless in my OPINION. But you are entitled to think differently.

/ Fair Price #12  
My buddy has a similar machine. Think it's one size down. 2014 24max iirc. It had a wiring gremlin due to poor manufacturing quality in the dash. Sat at a dealer for a few months.

I would make sure you have a real dealership, not a lawn mower place that happens to sell tractors.

I have a mahindra 485 and its rock solid but parts wise, your on your own. The dealer I have is the lawn mower place and I have to tell them how to find parts or just do it myself.

/ Fair Price #13  
If you are a good enough tractor mechanic to be considering an unknown older tractor for $20K, then you are probably a good enough to deal with just about any mechanical problems - right up to complete rebuilds. So how good a mechanic are you? That's the first question to ask.

Chances are it is a flood victim - but that's not the absolute end unless they tried to start it and bend some motor internals. So next you need to find out if it starts, runs, and drives OK. Then figure on your labor and cost to re-do all the electricals and hydraulic systems and ask yourself if it makes sense.

Frankly, if you are that good at tractor mechanicals you can probably do just as good buying something used locally. At least then the seller has to deal with you being a local.

Or you could figure that $20K is not a bad price to pay if that is what it takes to encourage yourself to become a competent tractor mechanic. There is that....

rScotty

/ Fair Price
If you are a good enough tractor mechanic to be considering an unknown older tractor for $20K, then you are probably a good enough to deal with just about any mechanical problems - right up to complete rebuilds. So how good a mechanic are you? That's the first question to ask.

Chances are it is a flood victim - but that's not the absolute end unless they tried to start it and bend some motor internals. So next you need to find out if it starts, runs, and drives OK. Then figure on your labor and cost to re-do all the electricals and hydraulic systems and ask yourself if it makes sense.

Frankly, if you are that good at tractor mechanicals you can probably do just as good buying something used locally. At least then the seller has to deal with you being a local.

Or you could figure that $20K is not a bad price to pay if that is what it takes to encourage yourself to become a competent tractor mechanic. There is that....

rScotty
I'm not much of a mechanic, but I do not believe this tractor was flooded. I'm local to Baton Rouge, and the area where the owner's house is did not flood anytime recently. Also, the seller is an 80+ year old gentleman who continues to use the tractor, so I know it's in decent operating condition.

FWIW, there is a real Mahindra/Kioti dealership about 5 miles from my house, so that helps a bit.

/ Fair Price #15  
The fact they sell both mahindra and kioti, I'd be weary. The shops around here with those brands play musical brands and sell different colors every six months.

I'd also check online too see what parts are available. Thankfully mine is old enough to be a direct clone of an international.

I'd check if it is a tym, mitsubishi or mahindra built machine

/ Fair Price #16  
I would make sure things like the computer and anything else unique is available. It's not that old but I just had to replace a computer on a 2013 van.

/ Fair Price #17  
I'm not much of a mechanic, but I do not believe this tractor was flooded. I'm local to Baton Rouge, and the area where the owner's house is did not flood anytime recently. Also, the seller is an 80+ year old gentleman who continues to use the tractor, so I know it's in decent operating condition.

FWIW, there is a real Mahindra/Kioti dealership about 5 miles from my house, so that helps a bit.

Well, that sounds a whole lot better. An 80 year old described as a gentleman and one known to you locally are all good things. Those things change my opinion in a way that only a Southerner can fully appreciate.

Continuing to use the tractor is even better.

Now you be sure to tell this old boy that you cannot afford to have the dealer doing basic maintenance and repair - because you can't afford the dealer doing things for you. They just cost too much.
And we all know you are going to have to do some basics on even the best used tractor. So let him know you also want any manuals, any tools you might need and he doesn't anymore... and that you are going to want to be able call on him for help or at least for some advice if needed.

Given all that, I'd go for it in a flash. I'll be selling mine in much the same way in a few years.
And hope to find a young guy who will know what he is getting.
rScotty

/ Fair Price #18  
I'd save my coins and keep looking for something better.

/ Fair Price #19  
Do you think this is a fair price for this tractor?
Those were my same thoughts, but pricing a new one out is right at $40K with all these features. That's the seller's argument anyway.
I was saying that it seems about $3K overpriced.
Poster, you are asking us what is fair price when you seem to already know the market for this machine. What do you need from us?

/ Fair Price
Poster, you are asking us what is fair price when you seem to already know the market for this machine. What do you need from us?
Well, I'm new to tractors. I feel like I know what the price should be, but I wanted to see if those more experienced felt differently.

While it's easy for me to say it's too expensive, there are only a handful of used tractors in my area, so supply and demand take over at some point.