Fast Growing Trees?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #11  
Kevin,
Back in MD we lined our driveway with Hybrid Poplar. It grows fast - like 20 feet in 3 years. It spreads more than a Lombardy Poplar. But it was not a round tree - still very columnar in shape. The mail order houses all claimed it was long lived. I wasn't so sure about that so on the south side of the tree line I planted pin oaks which grow "fast" for an oak. Since neither the hybrid poplars nor the pin oaks had a huge spread I could put them close together but slightly offset. The long term plan was to cut down the poplars once the oaks reached a decent height.

I moved before that happened but the pin oaks were 8-12 feet tall in 5 years. Poplars were still in good shape at that point. I think I started w/ 4 foot pin oaks and the poplars were just saplings.

I originally tried Canadian Hemlock for a property barrier/windscreen. I had seen those and they look nice closely planted. Unfortunately the first winter the deer ate every single one.

Phil

Phil

/ Fast Growing Trees? #12  
I went through the whole process you're going through a couple years ago. I researched the Austree, Ameri-Willow, and Hybrid Poplars among others. The bad things about the Austree and Ameri-Willow is that, despite what their ads say, they produce suckers all over and drop branches all the time (like a weeping willow). the Hybrid Poplars also, despite what their ads say, produce suckers and drop sticky buds in the spring. If the trees are going to be a long way from your house and yard, they might be OK. Austrees are also very expensive.

I ended up going with Eastern White Pines (ordered from Musser Forests) and have been happy so far. I planted them last spring and they're doing great. They don't grow as fast as the willows and poplars, but my brother planted some in Michigan (near Jackson) several years ago and they grow at least a foot a year, usually more. The advantage is that you get a screen all year instead of just in the summer. I planted the 4 year transplants that were only about 1’ tall (bare root), WHTP122. If you can afford it, the WHTP222 would get you off to a faster start. I planted 50 trees and 80% of them survived. I’m going to replace the dead ones with a mix of some WHTP222 and some 2’ potted ones from Lowes (as an experiment). I also planted 10 Virginia Pines, VIRP120, and only 1 survived. Musser credited me for them and I’m going to apply the credit when I buy the WHTP222 this spring.

Good luck and be patient. I think you’ll be better off in the long run with the pines.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #13  
I have wanted some trees to form a screen along the top of one of my banks for some time. I am an impatient type and couldn't wait for trees to grow. Last fall I found a fellow that had a couple thousand Norwegian Pine trees. They are about 15 feet tall and he wanted $10 a tree. I then found a fellow with a tree spade on a tractor. He dug out the trees, hauled them to my place, dug the holes to put the trees in and set the trees in the holes. All I had to do was set the trees straight and then backfill as necessary. Presto - instant trees. Yes it was more expensive than plant seedlings and waiting for them to grow but I got what I wanted quickly.

Attachments

• 8-121764-pine-trees-on-curve-3-web.jpg
    8-121764-pine-trees-on-curve-3-web.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 316
   / Fast Growing Trees? #14  
Willows are fast growing, but would think you would want a screen in the winter as well. Consider going with the evergreens, as the white pine mentioned in the threads. However, for another thought, unless you are not bothered with deer, consider a spruce. I planted 3500 red oak, white pine, white spruce, and ash. In the photo attached, you can see the spruce about 4'-5', oak, (no white pine because the deer have kept them at ground level), and some ash after three years of growth from seedlings in the 12" size. The spruce have done very well because the deer leave them alone. The oak and ash have been browse for the deer too, but are holding their ground so far.
Maybe intersperse the evergreens with some willow that can always be removed if not wanted in the future.

Attachments

• 8-121801-trees1.jpg
    8-121801-trees1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 111
   / Fast Growing Trees?
Beenthere,

Very nice property you have there. I have thought of interspersing tree varieties. Considering some larger potted spruces (4') - Found a place not too far away that will sell for $25 per tree. Sounds pretty reasonable. My concern is that a larger tree may experience more stress. I do like the idea of a year round screen.

There are a lot of deer around my area. My property is adjacent to some farmland to the east and then the neighor's 25 acres (mostly wooded) and his neighbor's woodlot (10 or so acres.

Never thought a deer would eat a Pine Tree? But, I suppose it might be delicacy to them.

/ Fast Growing Trees?
Howard,

I'm with you. Hurry up and wait for something to grow!
Ten bucks for that size tree is incredible. How much did the labor run?

Nice looking specimens!

/ Fast Growing Trees?
Mossroad,

You must have some great soil in the Southbend area! If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a tree spade attachment for the PT-425?

I was figuring you could grab one of those larger pines on your property and driving it on up to mine /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Fast Growing Trees?
Mosey,

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to trees. What is a sucker?
Doesn't sound very good. I'm assuming it's an out of control root system??

I have the Musser catalogue. They look like a very impressive company.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #20  
<font color=blue>He'll give me all the White Pine I want. I may try a few to see how they do.</font color=blue>

kbarret,

If you do dig a few to transplant, use the smaller ones, say about 12" in height or less. They will do much better, grow faster, and experience less transplant shock than ones that are taller.

I helped a neighbor plant a screen of white pines several years ago. We dug them ourselves from the forest, and many we just pulled up without any digging at all. We noticed the next year that the smaller ones did FAR better. In a couple years time, the smaller transplants outgrew the larger ones. As another poster has already said, the advantage of the white pine screen is that you'll have it all year round.

Happy planting!