Fast Growing Trees?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #31  
I haven't heard anyone mention douglas fir in all of this. How would they do in comparison?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #32  
I didn't think one could get Douglas fir to grow well in Michigan, and if it did grow, it would grow very slow. I'm interested in learning if there is a reason you think it is fast growing and will grow in the Midwest?

/ Fast Growing Trees? #33  
Kevin,

<font color=blue>I'm assuming this means that the tree takes on more of a "bushy" shape than the probably more desired "tree" shape?</font color=blue>

Yep, you've got it. The White Pine Blister Rust causes the tree's leader or top of the tree to wilt and die prematurely, causing one of the upper side branches to take over as a leader. That's why when you see mature White Pines today, many of them look malformed with irregular boles for trunks. However, if your objective is to provide a tree screen, then this will work to your advantage. The White Pines will grow together in 'bushy' fashion and will give you the desired screening effect you desire. If you go with this species or the Austrian Pine, I would also plant them in staggered formation....that is, two parallel rows with the front row trees filling in the gaps of the back row trees. Both rows and trees should be separated by about 6'.

Also, take precautions with the deer if you have that problem. They like the White Pine as much as the Austrian Pine and will chew the seedlings down to stems if not fenced in.

Bob

/ Fast Growing Trees? #34  
Sorry, after reading the whole thread, I forgot the title, "Fast growing". I am looking to plant soon, and was willing to sacrifice a little growing speed, for a little nicer looking tree, in my opinion. I was just wondering if there was a problem using the douglas fir, before I planted.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #35  
NJJohn,

Doug Firs (Pseudotsuga menziesii) are beautiful speciman or landscape trees, probably more so than if you use them as a screen or hedge. They are a very valuable timber tree in the western states...will grow to 200' or more in 100 years. You are right in that they are slow growing...much more so than the just as beautiful, faster growing Austrian Pine. You can buy them from Musser Forests. Check link above.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #37  
Any experience with <font color=green>Fast Growing Trees</font color=green> for a screen to block an undesireable view (aka Neighbor's junk)?

Came across this the other day, it appears that it may work...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cdr3.com/willow/>http://www.cdr3.com/willow/</A>

Any experience with these?

I have not seen anyone mention " Leyland Cypress " they are an Evergreen tree shaped like a cedar tree , they grow to 50 ' make an excellent screen year round...plant at least 6' apart and they grow at least 3 feet a year...so fast is the growth that you should only plant what are called " Liners " small Leyland cypress only 1 to 2 ft. high, since they grow so fast there is nothing gained by planting larger trees.....I planted 200 of them 20 yrs. ago and they are all over 30 ft. high now and were 8 ft. high or higher after only 3 yrs.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #38  
The best advice you have gotten here is to check with your extension agent, state forester or whatever.

If you are planting these trees where you can treat them as landscape trees, i.e., where you can tend them, water them, etc., then some of the imports may do the job. But if it's a plant and forget situation where the trees are on their own, I suggest looking at what grows naturally in your area, as they are more likely to survive and do well. The Forest Service did a test in Washington a hundred years ago, planting species from all over the world and the native species did better than any of the imports. Modern hybrids may be different.

For a good screen, look at shade tolerant trees. They develop denser crowns that will be harder to see through. Generally, they don't grow as fast as shade intolerant trees, however.

So you could go with a mix of 2 species, one shade tolerant to provide a dense screen and the other intolerant to get somewhat of a screen quickly. Spruces, cedars, hemlocks are usually tolerant while pines are usually intolerant, although actual species vary.

I'm not familiar with species in your area, but you might look at jack pine for an intolerant, fast growing tree. I understand it is similar to lodgepole pine, which I have worked with and is fast growing when young, but doesn't get real large. At the same time interplant hemlock, cedar or spruce for a dense screen.

I doubt that Douglas-fir, which actually is a fast growing tree, would do well there--DF's are very genetically adapted to the site in which they have evolved. In 1912 the Forest Service planted some at 3000 ft. elevation from seed that came from 300 feet. Didn't do well. You don't move DF very far north or south or up or down. BTW, they also planted Austrian pine in the same area and it's hard to find a single surviving pine.

Sitka spruce grows on the coast in the Pacific northwest up into Alaska, always near the coast where temps are mild. If I remember my geography right, Michigan is a little far from the mild coast. If you want spruce, use something that grows on sites similar to yours.

Drive around you area and see what does the job.

/ Fast Growing Trees? #39  
In Central Maine- wet clay area, native spruce (white,black) has done well. I've also had good luck with Chinese elm. The fastest growing tree has been honey locust.