Fast Internet

/ Fast Internet #51  
Says the people who have a internet connection posting on a tractor forum on the internet.
yeah that made me laugh. I am in tech and work from home. My service would be ok if it were more reliable and they did not throttle us all the time. We can't stream, which costs us to have satellite tv service. They oversold the capacity with all the people moving out here, but they won't upgrade anything. I could get 100MB if I were a mile away from here. The old equipment we are on gets pretty flaky at times. For a while the new ISP Brightspeed had a routing issue and we were getting an IP address that showed in Illinois or Washington state. They seemed to have fixed that. Problem is I can't get them to do anything, unless I do a lot of troubleshooting from a Linux command prompt before I call them. I even had one support person try to tell me I was gettign 2MB because it was shared with the 4 devices we had connected when only one of them was pulling data. Sorry but that is not how networks work. If you have Century Link, which is now Brightspeed, I feel bad for anyone that does. They are the worst. Brightspeed is doing fiber buildouts, but not here of course. I don't even care if I have fiber. I just want 50 to 100MB without all the throttling and faster upload speeds. I would go wireless, but no one supports that out here.

/ Fast Internet #52  
yeah that made me laugh. I am in tech and work from home. My service would be ok if it were more reliable and they did not throttle us all the time. We can't stream, which costs us to have satellite tv service. They oversold the capacity with all the people moving out here, but they won't upgrade anything. I could get 100MB if I were a mile away from here. The old equipment we are on gets pretty flaky at times. For a while the new ISP Brightspeed had a routing issue and we were getting an IP address that showed in Illinois or Washington state. They seemed to have fixed that. Problem is I can't get them to do anything, unless I do a lot of troubleshooting from a Linux command prompt before I call them. I even had one support person try to tell me I was gettign 2MB because it was shared with the 4 devices we had connected when only one of them was pulling data. Sorry but that is not how networks work. If you have Century Link, which is now Brightspeed, I feel bad for anyone that does. They are the worst. Brightspeed is doing fiber buildouts, but not here of course. I don't even care if I have fiber. I just want 50 to 100MB without all the throttling and faster upload speeds. I would go wireless, but no one supports that out here.
Starlink has been a gift, after twenty plus years of deteriorating DSL.

While it used to be frustrating that there were alternatives that were "close" and they never quite made it here. We were close to pulling the trigger on a tower for microwave and cell service until the final site inspection from the one provider turned from $200/mo for 300Mbits/s to $500/mo for 100Mbits/s. The reason stated was that they had "discovered" that we would be serviced from a "business tower" that required us to have a business plan...

I hope that things improve for you.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fast Internet #53  
Starlink has been a gift, after twenty plus years of deteriorating DSL.

While it used to be frustrating that there were alternatives that were "close" and they never quite made it here. We were close to pulling the trigger on a tower for microwave and cell service until the final site inspection from the one provider turned from $200/mo for 300Mbits/s to $500/mo for 100Mbits/s. The reason stated was that they had "discovered" that we would be serviced from a "business tower" that required us to have a business plan...

I hope that things improve for you.

All the best,

Peter
Starlink is oversold here and over capacity. I waited for over a year after putting my $99 deposit down. I checked my email every few days to see when it was coming. Then I was on vacation and did not check for over a week. That is when they emailed me to reply within 7 days or lose my spot. I lost my spot in line. I decided to get my deposit back. F*** starlink. They can buid out Ukraine, but they can't provide enough capacity here.

/ Fast Internet #54  
. They can buid out Ukraine, but they can't provide enough capacity here.
Isn't that because the same satellites that pass over us and are full, also pass over Ukraine(and other countries) with at the the time zero users? So all they had to do was get dishes to them? I might be wrong that is my understanding of it. I've had starlink for a couple years and it's been amazing:)

/ Fast Internet #55  
Starlink is oversold here and over capacity. I waited for over a year after putting my $99 deposit down. I checked my email every few days to see when it was coming. Then I was on vacation and did not check for over a week. That is when they emailed me to reply within 7 days or lose my spot. I lost my spot in line. I decided to get my deposit back. F*** starlink. They can buid out Ukraine, but they can't provide enough capacity here.
FWIW: Starlink roam would appear to be available in your area now, convertible to regular Starlink whenever it rolls out.

As @Fixastuff points out, Starlink satellites aren't geostationary, and every user not in the US helps reduce the cost for the US service. It is a win-win.

I am not saying that I understand why some areas of the US are still waiting for service. I don't get it, but I guess it has something to do with ground station bandwidth and availability.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fast Internet #56  
Only decent (miserable) option here is broadband off the cell tower but our local Elec Coop announced the build out of a fiber direct network almost 3 years ago and we're finally seeing some progress, they left a loop on my pole last week so we just need the splice crew now. My goal is to watch a ball game without the freeze frame.....

Fiber.jpg

/ Fast Internet #57  
I have about 1 MB using cell phone because of the terrain around home.

Slow doesn't really describe it but companies are advertising over the air home Internet like the Verizon Cube?

When I input my address it comes back not available.

I borrowed a cube and plugged it in to power and wow... in small letters.

My 1 MB is now 9 MB, at least while trying it this afternoon...

Man, what a difference!

I wonder why Verizon has my address coded as no service but sign up to be notified.

I'm thinking of getting one and who knows , the speed might even be faster in another spot or elevation around the house?

/ Fast Internet #58  

Slow doesn't really describe it but companies are advertising over the air home Internet like the Verizon Cube?

Man, what a difference!

I wonder why Verizon has my address coded as no service but sign up to be notified.

I'm thinking of getting one and who knows , the speed might even be faster in another spot or elevation around the house?
They only allow a certain number per cell site and not all cell sites have capability. You can get on the waiting list.

/ Fast Internet #59  
I'm on wait list but I like the borrowed cube so far...

/ Fast Internet #60  

Man, what a difference!

Try and talk with a person at Verizon for Home Internet service. You may have better luck. Hint..hint...

And yes, repositioning in the house can make a big difference.

Also, see if other carries of "cell" data plans, T-Mobile, AT&T offer "Home Internet" services, since Verizon seems to at your spot.