Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road?

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #1  

AUSSIE small farmer

Tractor
i buy and sell tractors and other machinery quite regularly so i can afford better machines :-)
G'day Just looking for opinions on the fastest older tractors for going long distance on big open road plains outback. Apparently Fordson dextas and chamberlains are the fastest but looking at others aswell (will be towing a 6x4 box trailer)
cheers

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #2  
Many of the real old Sears and Wards tractors were extremely fast for there day and even today.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #3  
G'day Just looking for opinions on the fastest older tractors for going long distance on big open road plains outback. Apparently Fordson dextas and chamberlains are the fastest but looking at others aswell (will be towing a 6x4 box trailer)
cheers

We bought a Fordson Dexta new in 1960. If anything it was a little slower on the road to comparable sized gas engine Fords of the era. The fastest older tractor I’ve “roaded” would be a gas MF 35 with Multi Power.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #4  
My Fordson E27n with the Hi-gear transmission really gets with the program on the road.

Might call it "scary fast" . Way too fast to pull a 4X trailer.

I would bet the Dex fitted with the hi-gear (road speed) transmission would be similar.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #5  
These are a work of art!

UDLX Comfortractor

Minneapolis-Moline pioneered the concept of the closed-cab farm tractor in 1938 by developing the UDLX Comfortractor (also known as the Model U Deluxe).[3] The UDLX had flowing enclosing bodywork and a well appointed all-weather cabin, which contained a passenger seat, the idea being that the farmer and his wife would ride in comfort.[4] Entry to the cabin was by a large rear door. The bodywork was painted in as the bright "Prairie-Gold" colour while the bumper and hubcabs were chromed.[4] It was equipped with automotive features such as safety glass windscreen, windshield wipers, an electric starter and a dashboard with a speedometer, clock, sun visor, rear view mirror, plus several firsts in a tractor, including a heater, a cigarette lighter, ashtray, and a radio.[3]
1938 Minneapolis-Moline UDLX tractor side view

The 2.9 ton tractor was powered by a high compression Minneapolis-Moline four-cylinder 283 cu.in (4,637 cc) KED petrol engine which produced 46hp and drove a gearbox with five forward and one reverse gears which gave it a top speed of 40 mph

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #6  

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #7  
How fast do you want to go? I think my MF 261 tops out at 18 mph and with the loader and long forks on front it gets scary sometimes.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #8  
How fast do you want to go? I think my MF 261 tops out at 18 mph and with the loader and long forks on front it gets scary sometimes.

It's true. To drive tractor fast is dangerous, 'cause it isn't equipped with the suspension. Except, maybe, modern ones, which are equipped with it. Slight unevenness on the road surface can affect rollover if you are at max speed of a tractor. I have experienced a number of cases where the attempt to skip the cars overtaking my tractor just could end badly. I'm driving long distance once a year, about 60 km.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #10  
I would think the old Linn Tractor's were the fastest, as they were a truck-tractor sort of combination. They used them as woods locomotives for a reason, and I would think speed would be one reason.

Our old Ford 900 would go pretty fast, the speedometer said 24 mph and it sure felt as if you could do it. They were not much of a tractor, but with only four gears, the engineers that built them got each gear right.

But speed is not always the fastest way to get to a spot. Really consistency is. I mow the roads on the side of the road so I drive tractors at high speed for long distances on the roadways. It is more of a matter of just plodding along, and the mileage clicks by.