Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road?

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #31  
I was over in Germany a couple of years ago and many farms utilize large tractors the same way we would use a semi (large truck) large Fendt tractors pulling trailers on the highway. (Not on the autobahn) the trailers are all set up with brakes and lights and they move! 40-45 mph (70kph) I have seen the big JCB Fastrac on the highways in Ireland at 80kph towing trailer with cultivators on back.
we have those here in the USA too. A5tractortrailer.jpg

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #32  
Dad bought his own farm about 68 years ago. He had an old tractor with dual front wheels and complained it was dangerous so he looked around for something else.
He found an old David Brown Cropmaster (petrol) about 50 miles away and my mum drove it home. It could go like the clappers and I learned on that thing. We had it for many years before he upgraded. He was always happy with it. It was a big decision back then to replace it with a diesel eventually. (A David Brown 850)
I loved the speeds it could attain, wind blowing in my face. No such thing as a ROPS back then.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #33  
I like this idea for truck/tractorimage001.jpeg

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #34  
Another fast oldie:

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #35  
Had a MF 2135 industrial with a 6 speed trans that was geared way too high for me, but it would easily run well over 20 mph. Had the easiest to turn power steering of any tractor I ever owned.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #36  
It always amazed me how often the standard was for old tractors to have no fenders. I'm thinking of the I-H, Farmalls, and John Deere A's & B's of the 40' and 50's.
Nothing to hang onto, especially on a sidehill, except the steering wheel. The Farmall's were the worst (IMHO) as their springy seat would almost launch you. At least Deer's "battery box" seat had a hand grab rail around it.

Only thing to hang on to was steering wheel, yet everything required taking hands off steering wheel (hand throttle, shifting lever, even hand clutch for the Johnny Poppers).[snip]

One of the worst shortcomings of my old Farmall M was the seat with a coil spring and no shock absorber. As mentioned above, I felt I was about to be launched a time or two. It was replaced with my AC WD. The ride was much better and felt safer, to me at least.

Last edited:
   / Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #37  
Being south of the equator Aussie has a different assortment of tractors to choose from. I know that many of the European spec tractors travel much faster than the US spec machines. I would go with a Unimog. Even if it is equipped with low speed axles it will still be faster than most tractors. Also Unimogs are much more common and affordable in AU compared to the US.

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #38  
I want a Unimog!

/ Fastest Old Tractor to use on the road? #40  
I want a Pinzgauer!